Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Hatch issue

Before you ask, yes I searched....

I'm working on fixing up my 90LX (which is why I'm selling the parts L-plus) and I'm having an issue with the rear hatch not opening... I originally thought that the hatch was locked (grabbed the key and tried to unlock but nothing) so I removed the lock cylinder to diagnose and that didn't help.... now I'm trying to detach the striker assembly with no luck... note there is no way of opening the hatch to just take it off and pull it apart... I'm at a stand-still
    Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
    89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
    Projects in the works:
    84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

I would try to sit in the back area and take off the gray panel that is on the inside of the hatch, I think it's held on with 10 clips. Once you have the panel off you should be able to see the rod that goes from the handle to the latch, push down on that rod and see if you can open it.
    '90 LX

Comment

I tried that....
      Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
      Projects in the works:
      84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

it didn't quite work... still wont open
        Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
        Projects in the works:

Comment

Is the locking mech. still attached? I believe I read somewhere that you can unlock it by flipping the small lever just under the hatch on the inside. Maybe your key mech. rod came unhooked from it?
          The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
          89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

The lever sticking out in this picture is what actually locks the hatch:

In this photo the hatch is closed and it is directly in the center:

Push it one way or the other with your finger or a screwdriver or something and it will lock or unlock it depending on which way you move it.

Good luck and let us know how it works!
            The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
            89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Cut the striker assy from the inside with a sawzall? Should be able to slip the blade between the hatch and the door jam, if your careful.
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

looking into buying a new hack saw blade because I don't own a sawzall... pricinpal is the same though
                Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                Projects in the works:

Comment

From inside the hatch can you get a 10mm box wrench onto the nuts that hold the striker plate? When I bought my '91L it had been backed into a pole and some things got bent and I had to just take off the striker plate so I could open the hatch and get the repairs. Takes a while but it beats cutting things up if you can get to the bolts.
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by DrMaxwellEdison View Post
                    looking into buying a new hack saw blade because I don't own a sawzall... pricinpal is the same though
                    Don't waste capital on a new blade, sharpen the one you got!

Seriously cutting the the striker is a last resort.

From the back seat you should be able to dis-engage the lock by pushing/pulling one of the rods attached to it.
                    You might have to push the hatch down while doing it.
                    There could be tension on the lock mechanism from say a bent hatch or an object wedged into the hatch somewhere. Anyway pushing down should relieve enough pressure such that the mechanism will now function.
                    Maybe have someone push down form outside the hatch.

Can you get us pics of the inside of the hatch behind the grey panel, maybe some one could identify the correct rod.
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                      From the back seat you should be able to dis-engage the lock by pushing/pulling one of the rods attached to it.
                      You might have to push the hatch down while doing it.
                      There could be tension on the lock mechanism from say a bent hatch or an object wedged into the hatch somewhere. Anyway pushing down should relieve enough pressure such that the mechanism will now function.
                      Maybe have someone push down from outside the hatch.

Can you get us pics of the inside of the hatch behind the grey panel, maybe some one could identify the correct rod.
                      I came across this problem on a car I was checking out for Brian a couple months ago. I could even push that rod back and forth, but the mechanism still wouldn't open for some reason. Maybe rusted in place? but that seems odd. Hopefully he will find a way.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

On mine the striker was pushed back just enough that the latch hung up in the half open position and the only way to open it was to remove the striker. Once the body was hammered back out around the bottom of the hatch everything worked fine. Good luck on it!
                        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

checked it out today a little closer... it's rusted solid... I can't get the 10mm bolts to turn so I'm cutting the striker and removing them from the outside... I think I can scrounge up another striker assembly... I'll just need a new lock cylinder...
                          Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                          Projects in the works:

Comment

Working...
                          X