How many o-rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many o-rings?

Wanting to get the AC working. The light comes on but no cool air. Didn't think the light was supposed to come on could be hooked up wrong. Rather than charging and hunting the leak I'm a thinkin' it would be better to replace all the o-rings and be done with it. How many o-rings are there? 1 at the compressor, 2? at the dryer, 2 at the connections at the firewall, any inside(?) . I was thinking of getting MOTORCRAFT Part # YF982 12 o rings I hope would be enough? Harbor freight had a vacuum pump on sale for $9 and after the R134a and conversion kit maybe around $50 total. Might be cheaper than hunting down a leak?

And why does no air come out of the outer dash vents? Comes out of the center and the plumbing is there. All the other vents - defrost and lower - works good.
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Don't know about the number of "O" rings, not even certain they are all the same size.

But, I don't think the $9 Harbor Freight vacuum pump is what you need to evac an AC unit. Your going to need a powered unit capable of evacuating a fair volume and holding it at high vac (<1 torr) for hours (over night would be better).

No AC air out the side vents because that's how the system was designed. Should get heat and defrost out of them but only AC air will be from the center vents.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

The return line is smaller they have two different sizes in the kit. I got to looking at the ac closer. The light comes on but the compressor doesn't turn. I pushed on the valve sounded like it had good pressure. Tuesday I'll get a can of something compatible with R12 and try it out. AC only out of the center vents how odd.. been a long time since I had a Festiva with AC.
      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
        No AC air out the side vents because that's how the system was designed. Should get heat and defrost out of them but only AC air will be from the center vents.
        not sure John...I have air out of my side vents
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

AC'd air?
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
            AC'd air?
            yes sir!
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I get cold A/C air from all four dash vents too.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

There is one "O" ring that is square. Just hope that one is good. Pull some dye in the system to locate the leak.
                sigpic
                The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Ok for kicks and giggles I decided to get a refill kit to see what she'll do. Previously the fan would come on but not the compressor. With what I can see with a proper charge it still won't come one. I can jumper it and get cold air though didn't do a temp check. Unless I have the wrong connector but there's only one that I can see.

Oh a BTW the drivers side dash vent next to the door is the only one that's not working. Probably a easy fix.
                  91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Looked at the relays. Mine has three since it's a auto. I tried swapping them around with no success. But when I unplug the center relay the compressor and front fan will come one but not the main radiator fan. When the radiator fan comes on the compressor won't. But the radiator fan will still come on when it's supposed to without that relay. The air coming out is 70 degrees probably have to much charge showing 45lbs on the gauge.
                    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Strange AC problem..

I've got the AC blowing cold 45 in the cool mornings and probably 50-60 during the hot day. I had to rig it though.. pull the center relay (by the battery) and pull the wire of the thermostat housing so the fan will run. When the center relay is plugged in the radiator fan will run but not the compressor. Although yesterday I took apart the inside box to clean it and after putting it back together it worked with the relay plugged in. Worked this morning but at 10a it didn't. I can unplug the pressure the cutoff's and it will shut off the compressor with it rigged and the fan if the relay is plugged in. Shows 35 psi on my gauge. The 10amp fuse under the dash is good. The fan on the outside of the condenser hasn't ran yet.

The haynes manual I have might as well use it as toilet paper. The thermostat on the inside box is the only thing I haven't checked but the manual doesn't mention it except the diagrams. I have a sneakin' suspicion that this was the problem the entire time with the AC. Any suggestions?
                      Last edited by Pu241; 07-30-2010, 09:55 AM. Reason: Opened locked thread and moved post edited irrelavent portion of post.
                      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Working...
                      X