Timing Belt Tutorial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Belt Tutorial?

I'm selling my 93 Festiva but before I do so, I think I may change the timing belt so the new owner doesn't have a good reason to talk me down on the price since its otherwise in great shape (145,000 miles)

I searched around and couldn't find anything other than some info about marks on the camshaft and crankshaft to indicate TDC. Maybe thats all I need to know but does anyone know if there is a tutorial or simple instructions for changing the timing belt?

thanks,
    dan

This might help. http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210
    I might add that you will need to remove the crankshaft pulley also.
    Last edited by wybnrml; 07-26-2010, 03:32 PM.
    '90 LX

Comment

thanks! i just saw this - i'm not getting email notifications for some reason.

I may tackle that tonight - sounds easy enough.

Comment

yay got my timing belt changed this afternoon! Got it done in under 3 hours. Never done a belt on a V6 but this must be a lot easier.

The hardest part was getting the spring attached to the tensioner. Geez what a pain. I ended up wrapping the end of the spring around the tensioner so it wouldn't fall off.

Seems to run pretty well. It started up and died but I hadn't ran the engine in several weeks. I hope I'm not off by a tooth. The engine is pretty smooth.

how bad is it if you're off by 1 tooth?

Comment

Originally posted by danwheeler View Post
          yay got my timing belt changed this afternoon! Got it done in under 3 hours. Never done a belt on a V6 but this must be a lot easier.

The hardest part was getting the spring attached to the tensioner. Geez what a pain. I ended up wrapping the end of the spring around the tensioner so it wouldn't fall off.

Seems to run pretty well. It started up and died but I hadn't ran the engine in several weeks. I hope I'm not off by a tooth. The engine is pretty smooth.

how bad is it if you're off by 1 tooth?
          You can compinsate (sp?) 1 tooth by adjusting the distributor but that should only be done if you have a timing light.
          Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 09-19-2010, 01:21 AM. Reason: Dont know how to spell lol!
          89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
          My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
            You can compinsate (sp?) 1 tooth by adjusting the distributor but that should only be done if you have a timing light.
            I dont understand how ignition timing can compensate for improper valve timing but I'll take your word for it.

I guess i'll search around for an ignition timing tutorial or instructions. I do have a light. Seems like a good idea following a timing belt change.

thanks
            dan

Comment

Well if your firing before or after the engine hits TDC, what are you gonna do? Retard or advance the timing in order to get it close. This is done by adjusting the distributor. The proper way to ensure your mechanical timing is correct is to rotate the engine by hand a few times after replacing the timing belt making sure the marks line up. This will let you know if your off by a tooth or not.

One more thing. Do not shoot the timing untill the engine is at its normal running temp.
              Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 09-19-2010, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
                The proper way to ensure your mechanical timing is correct is to rotate the engine by hand a few times after replacing the timing belt making sure the marks line up. This will let you know if your off by a tooth or not.
                thanks for the tip - wish i would have thought of that when I had the timing covers off. Now I know for next time.

Comment

Originally posted by danwheeler View Post
                  thanks for the tip - wish i would have thought of that when I had the timing covers off. Now I know for next time.
                  Ya this should be applied to any car that is getting a new timing belt. I have seen people not do this on interfearence engines and as soon as they turn the key and it tried to start, there ripping the head back off because of bent valves lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X