Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift lever has trouble engaging in reverse

Aloha all!

My festy does this weird thing where if the gear selector is in drive and I move it to reverse, it doesn't engage. I have to push it up past "R", almost into "park", and then back down into reverse before it engages.

What the hell? Anybody else experience this or know what may be causing it?

Thanks for your help!
    Be warned....when you look into the Abyss, the Abyss also looks into you....

Your car may not start in park sometimes, too.

Sounds like a simple shift cable adjustment.

Comment

Yup. Take the console and shift indicator panel off.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Mike-

You are absolutely right about it not starting in park sometimes. Sounds like you nailed the problem.

bhazard-

After I take the console and shift indicator off...what next? Is there an adjustment nut?

Also, any recommendations on a service manual? Been searching ebay and it looks like there are a few different ones out there.

Thanks for your help and replies!

Comment

1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Hope those help... scanned them in from my manual to get you going until you get yours. As for manuals, this is what mine looks like:

Comment

Our 93 Festiva has always been touchy going into reverse. Guess I'll add that to the list of things that need to be addressed. And there is tons of play in the clutch. I recently drove a friend's car and was amazed at how much easier it was to drive/shift gears.

I'm talking manual trans. Is your auto or manual?
              Last edited by Teresa; 08-01-2010, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Teresa-

Mine is an Automatic. I think I saw a bunch of threads regarding the manual stick issues. You might want to do a search to get more specific answers.

Aaronbrook37-

You are THE MAN! Thanks for those scans, they help A LOT! As far as the manual goes, I think I'll get the Ford Factory manual, as opposed to the Haynes one.

Thanks again for all your help everybody!

Mahalo!

Comment

Originally posted by A8770 View Post
                  Aaronbrook37- You are THE MAN! Thanks for those scans, they help A LOT! As far as the manual goes, I think I'll get the Ford Factory manual, as opposed to the Haynes one.
                  You're most very welcome. These manuals are completely fantastic... I'm quite impressed with them daily. I realize that the Haynes ones are good (I have one as well) but I much prefer using this one. Just the other day I was interested in adjusting my e-brake cable, and after a quick flip through my manual, it took me almost no time at all!

Comment

Working...
                  X