Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help!

I have a 1993 Ford Festiva. When I drive the car it loose power upon acceleration and acts like it wants to die. Sometimes if I let up off the gas pedal it recovers quickly and some times it doesn't. When parked and running and when I mash the gas pedal it choke and sputters. If I slowly rev it up it does fine. Any solutions?

I'm no mechanic by any means but if anything it will bump this so maybe someone else will respond. It could be any number of things.

I would start with checking my spark plugs/wires and making sure they are all good. That is usually the cheapest and easiest thing and it never hurts to have new spark plugs! Check your filters (fuel and air). Putting some fuel additive like sea foam or the like wouldn't hurt either. Then things like your fuel pump...etc.

This is just my guess since I really don't know a whole lot haha but I figure it's something to start with.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
    The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

I'm thinking most likely fuel filter, then possibly the fuel sock in the gas tank, which is the first line of defense against crud in the lines.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Okay did all things mentioned above. Ended up being the mass airflow sensor. Thanks for the help. This site is great!

Comment

Loose connection at the VAF?

Please confirm failure mode!
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Loose V.A.F.

Yes Please comfirm,inquiring minds need to know for future reference.
            An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

A friend of mine worked on it and told me what was wrong. Due to the fact I only know a little of working on cars from what my dad taught me. He showed me the part and what looked like a metal door inside. It would not close all the way and sometimes i guess was stuck in whatever position. I went to Pick and Pull and lucked out and found 2 festivas. One of which had a remanufactured mass airflow sensor that looked like it was just put on before it ended up at the junk yard. It was already off the car and just laying there on top of the motor waiting for me(LOL), cost me $45.00. They are a little over a $100 new from the research I did. Bought the car a month ago for $350 from a man who could not get it running. At that time it would not even start. Found out it was the fuel cut off switch. Then it started to act like it wanted to die whenever I tried to gain enough speed to shift gears. If I was parked it would do fine if I slowly pushed the gas pedal to rev it up. When I would mash it. It would choke and sputter. I replaced the spark plugs(which were stuck, used pb blaster to cure that thanks to advice on here) and plug wires, fuel filter, checked the fuel pump and sock(?)both in good shape and the fuel pump tested good. Anyways, this is most likely more info than you wanted. Just excited that it is finally running and can't believe how good it runs. Hopefully continues to run for a long time.

Comment

Working...
              X