Timing belt... Dun Dun Dun....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt... Dun Dun Dun....

OKAY, i just replaced the water pump on my car and i thought the belt looked good, (and the 2 screws that held the harmonic balancer inner ring had stripped heads, so i couldnt change it) so i just did the water pump. fired up beautifully and i waited for it to circulate the cooling system to check for leaks, i rev it up to 3500 a few times and let it go. exactly when the cooling system kicks on the car dies. i instantly check everything i can think of. i crank it once, and by that sound, i knew the timing belt broke. i checked it and confirmed. what are the chances that nothing happened to the motor? slim to none right? %$#$! i cant even put another belt on for sh..s and grins, because i cant remove those 2 screws to remove the harmonic balancer. it doesnt matter, the b3 isnt non interference any way..

Originally posted by MTec007 View Post
    the b3 isnt non interference any way..
    Umm the B3 IS non-interference, throw a new timing belt on and you should be good to go

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

The B3 IS non interference, so the engine should be fine.
      Edit: Damkid beat me to it.
      '90 LX

Comment

really? i thought it was not? were talking the 88 B3 right? not the FI or aspire B3.. well i guess i can calm down and stop destroying stuff now eh?
        Last edited by MTec007; 08-01-2010, 07:35 PM.

Comment

All the Mazda B-series engines are Non Interference.
          '90 LX

Comment

really? i thought it was not? were talking the 88 B3 right? not the FI or aspire B3
            Doesn't matter what year it is, they are all non-interference

EDIT: wybnrml beat me to it this time :lol:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

my only problem is i cant get that harmonic balancer off.. any ideas? ill need new screws too but i can only go to the hardware store and hope they have something.. if i get them out

Comment

OKAY, i just replaced the water pump on my car and i thought the belt looked good, (and the 2 screws that held the harmonic balancer inner ring had stripped heads, so i couldnt change it) so i just did the water pump. fired up beautifully and i waited for it to circulate the cooling system to check for leaks, i rev it up to 3500 a few times and let it go. exactly when the cooling system kicks on the car dies. i instantly check everything i can think of. i crank it once, and by that sound, i knew the timing belt broke. i checked it and confirmed. what are the chances that nothing happened to the motor? slim to none right? %$#$! i cant even put another belt on for sh..s and grins, because i cant remove those 2 screws to remove the harmonic balancer. it doesnt matter, the b3 isnt non interference any way..
                Mabye you could use an easy out tool to get the stripped bolts out!

Comment

they are actually screws, phillips head screws but ill have to see if i can get some of those

Comment

what could have caused it to break in the first place?

Comment

if the timing belt tensioner is too tight could that cause the belt to break? when i tightened it, i treated it like a regular drive belt.. the belt looked like it pulled apart, seperated

Comment

Use a hammer and cold chisel to knock the heads off the screws or at least to smack them from the side. They may or may not come out. There is no need to replace them if you can't remove the threaded part.

Comment

are they not in the way of removing the harmonic balancer? so they are there for a reason..

Comment

Oldness
                            91GL BP/F3A with boost
                            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

are they not in the way of removing the harmonic balancer? so they are there for a reason..
                              Here's your answer. Took like 5 seconds to find.

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Comment

Working...
                              X