Alignment or tire balance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment or tire balance?

When I'm driving around and it gets to around 35-45, the steering wheel shakes, but once I get past 45 it runs great. Does this sound like front end alignment or tire balance. I keep getting different answers from shops.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Sounds like balance.alignment will cause a steering pull and tire wear,but no shake.I tire that is starting to seperate will also shimmy/shake/wobble at low speeds(5-15mph),but smooth out as you speed up.Warped brake rotors will cause the front end to shake when slowing and sometimes while driving,but won't be consistent like your shake.Ummm. . . . . . . I guess that about covers it.Have the shop throw your front wheels/tires on their balancing machine and they can tell you how far off the balance is instantly.Good luck!
    Go Fast !!,Take Chances !!

Comment

Move one back tire to the front.
      See if it gets better.
      If not, swap the other back tire to the front.
      What we are trying to do is isolate the issue to a tire(s) or wheel.
      Let us know what you find.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Agreed,but try it with both front tires.If you move one that is not out of balance,you may not notice a difference because you may still have one out of balance tire still on the front.Good advice from pu241,you can find the problem tire or rim yourself without having to pay for a balance check or rack time
        Go Fast !!,Take Chances !!

Comment

I had similar problems and once I replaced my LCA's the shake stopped. I also had a bit of a shake when braking but that is gone as well. So you may want to jack up your front end and grab a hold of your tire and see if you have any movement back and forth and side to side.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
          The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

ty guys, I'll try that tomorrow and let you know what I find. It happens everytime i drive. Like i said, it will start at about 35 and stop at 45 and from there it drives nice. I get it done in the next couple days, again ty.
            Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
            93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
            01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

I had exactly those symptoms a few years back. I tracked it down to a single worn tie rod end. After replacing that (with a used one one from my own stock), the shakes went away and never returned. I didn't even bother balancing the tires.
              88L black, dailydriver
              88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
              4 88/89 disassembled
              91L green
              91GL aqua pwrsteer
              92GL red a/c reardmg
              3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
              1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Mine did it from 55 to 65, even with hubcentric rings (aspire swap and aftermarket wheels). Had them re-balanced and all is well now.
                Oscar

Comment

Working...
                X