new festiva smokes alittle???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new festiva smokes alittle???

Well I brought my new little 91 yellow festiva home almost two weeks ago, I put here in the garage and closed the door since she's got a bad tranny. Today I started her up and she came right to life, when I thottle it to about 2-3k rpm she smokes blueish, at idle you can barley tell she smokes. Now what i've observed is her motor has not been maintained as good as it should, oil soaked motor,plugs,wires look old etc. the car had over a 1/2 tank of gas in it. Could these think cause that smoke????

i would like to know too because i have the same smoke issue
    1990 Ford Festiva 196k Automatic (Gone) " It's a small car so you gotta drive it like your ticked off... Small cars need to be driven fast"
    :spam1:is delicious

Comment

Maybe its just the yellow ones huh??

Comment

My red 1990 lx does the same things, just got it the other day.
        90 LX Auto with 120k miles

Comment

Originally posted by btaylor View Post
          My red 1990 lx does the same things, just got it the other day.
          Make sure it wasn't originally a yellow one that was repainted red!

Originally posted by tatrobb View Post
          Well I brought my new little 91 yellow festiva home almost two weeks ago, I put here in the garage and closed the door since she's got a bad tranny. Today I started her up and she came right to life, when I thottle it to about 2-3k rpm she smokes blueish, at idle you can barley tell she smokes. Now what i've observed is her motor has not been maintained as good as it should, oil soaked motor,plugs,wires look old etc. the car had over a 1/2 tank of gas in it. Could these think cause that smoke????
          Did it sit for a long time? Might be bad valves or rings. First I'd clean the engine bay, stick on a new valve cover gasket, then start in on it: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, thermostat, hoses, etc., whatever is necessary. I'd suggest also some type of fuel system cleaner (added to the gas) to clean out the injectors and combustion chamber. Change the oil and filter, and add some Marvel Mystery Oil or another additive to clean out the motor of sludge. The next oil change, add some seal conditioner.

Also drain the gas if it's old, or at least add good gas to fill it up. Assuming you will be getting the tranny fixed soon so you can drive it.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanx for the advice, Do the festiva gas tanks have a drain plug???

Comment

Someone correct me if I am wrong but Blue smoke usually means oil in the cylinders correct?

EDIT: Yeah what he said^^ :p
              Last edited by Charlie1717; 08-09-2010, 09:23 PM.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
              The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Originally posted by tatrobb View Post
                Thanx for the advice, Do the festiva gas tanks have a drain plug???
                Yep, it's on the driver-side, I think it's a 14mm bolt.
                '90 LX

Comment

If you drain it, you might as well open up the top of the gas tank and check out the little sock filter. Lift the carpet under the rear seat and you will figure it out.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanks for the added info.

Comment

Valve guide seals. Just check the oil and drive it Robb

Comment

Blue smoke is oil being burned. Sounds like you need new valve seals. If it was smoking more (at that rpm) you would need the valve seats replaced.
                        Blue smoke all the time, then the engine needs a rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                        X