Front wheel bearing replacement 88 festy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front wheel bearing replacement 88 festy

I' ve got a rumbling noise coming from the driver side front......pulled over and felt the wheel, (hot), so what is the procedure for the bearing replacement? From what I have read in this forum there are several things that are of key importance. The one thing I am most concerned about is the bearing preload. Can anyone give me advice on a DIY replacement on these bearings

Thanks,

jokoza57
    "For God so loved the world that he gave his
    only begotten son, that whosoever believes in
    him should not parish, but have everlasting life."

Here is the process done on an Aspire, which will be similar: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...hlight=bearing

If you don't want to actually replace the bearings yourself, at least remove the hub and take it to a shop rather than have them charge you for the entire job. Make sure they understand Festiva bearings; only do one hub at a time if you hand them both hubs, so that the spacers inside don't get confused, because they probably won't be the same on the two hubs.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

If you replace the bearings you may need to replace the spacers due to differences in width (depth?). It might help if you can find the same bearings from the same manufactuer as the exsisting bearings.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
        If you replace the bearings you may need to replace the spacers due to differences in width (depth?). It might help if you can find the same bearings from the same manufactuer as the exsisting bearings.
        Generally not a concern if you use a quality bearing like Timkin, and reuse the same spacer from the same hub. The spacer and hub are a matched set, so that a specified bearing will work properly with it.
        Do not mix the hubs and spacers, make sure they stay together as a set.
        Best to have one hub done at a time, then they can't mix them up!
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

One of the biggest differences between the Aspire and Festiva front wheel bearing is the Aspire rotor comes off of the unit the wheel bearing is in. It is held in place by two screws.

Where as a Festiva's rotor is part of the wheel bearing unit and must be pressed off of the knuckle to get into the bearings.
          www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
          www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
          Snoopy's
          4621 Atlantic Ave
          Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

I have some home made tools:
            Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Pics may shed some light

Comment

Working...
            X