Festiva front stabilizer bar bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva front stabilizer bar bushings

Does anyone know of a source for new 1992 Festiva stabilizer to frame bushings? I would like to keep my parent's spare car on the road if possible, and as most of you know these aren't available through regular sources.

I've tried Festiva Motorsport so many times I gave up, each time I was told they were coming in. If I placed an order to wait for them I would never get a call, if I called back they were always just weeks out.

I have seen the thread about modifying an Energy Suspension bushing. I did try something like that a year ago with two different profiles of Prothane brand 7/8" bushings, but not being able to see them before ordering I was not aware of how narrow they were. There was no way I would have tried to mod them as they wouldn't have filled up the brackets properly, and this integrated suspension design puts tremendous strell on these bushings.

I find it hard to believe that the Energy Suspension brand bushing would be much wider if it serves the same purpose as the Prothane brand (generic sway bar bushing kit designed for standalone bar).

Could anyone either prove my guess wrong about the ES brand bushings, or sell me new OE design bushings, or point me somewhere other than Festiva Motorsport, or assure me they do carry them now? Even if I had to buy a new front bar with bushings I would do that, but it doesn't appear available.

Thanks!

There's what the Aspire folks were doing to make the ES bushings work.

That's all I can really help you with though... I know nothing of the Prothane stuff. Super-Pro does carry a three-pack of bushings when it comes to FSB bushings (22/24/26mm depending on which swaybar you have -- Festiva, Aspire Manual, Aspire Automatic). However, some users claimed it didn't fit all that well.
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
      http://fordaspire.5.forumer.com/inde...opic=3632&st=0
      There's what the Aspire folks were doing to make the ES bushings work.
      Thanks for the link. I'm not too fond of using the bracket that comes with the A/M bushing as a locating device on this design. If you have seen the two together you would know the difference in strength -- the OE brackets are thicker, wider, and convoluted for strength.

Comment

Originally posted by qlopp View Post
        Thanks for the link. I'm not too fond of using the bracket that comes with the A/M bushing as a locating device on this design. If you have seen the two together you would know the difference in strength -- the OE brackets are thicker, wider, and convoluted for strength.
        Yeah, I totally agree. Just offering up another solution haha. Of course, you could always make your own bushings if they aren't completely shredded.

By following these well-illustrated instructions! So let's say you're in a predicament. The diff needs to go here: But you don't want that lovely EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE sound. Sounds like a job for a bushing! But alas...

Lots of work, but you'll get exactly what you want.

Comment

Yeah, I totally agree. Just offering up another solution haha. Of course, you could always make your own bushings if they aren't completely shredded.

By following these well-illustrated instructions! So let's say you're in a predicament. The diff needs to go here: But you don't want that lovely EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE sound. Sounds like a job for a bushing! But alas...

Lots of work, but you'll get exactly what you want.
          Ha, I'd rather buy my dad another car than do that much work :-)

Comment

Yes, but once you have the mould you can go into production and sell them to Festiva owners. Th effort is in the first one.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I have contemplated trying to mold my own. Loctite makes an Industrial Urethane that can be poured and cast. I figured I could use some factory rubber ones to make a mold.
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                I have contemplated trying to mold my own. Loctite makes an Industrial Urethane that can be poured and cast. I figured I could use some factory rubber ones to make a mold.
                Do it up... check my link for the details if you haven't already. I'd be interested!

Comment

I did the Energy Suspension bushings.

Discuss improvements to your Festiva or Aspire in the handling, braking, wheels and tires areas.

They work well after being modified.
                  Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                  '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                  '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Do it up... check my link for the details if you haven't already. I'd be interested!
                    Seems like there's an easier way to make a mold.........I'll have to do some thinkin'. There's got to be a way to use the actual brackets themselves as the mold and just cap off the ends. I'm on vacation all next week, so if I get bored, I may mess with it. Here's what I'm thinking of using, I believe it's an 80 Durometer, which may be a little soft. I'll call my Loctite rep tomorrow and get some details.

Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                      Seems like there's an easier way to make a mold.........I'll have to do some thinkin'. There's got to be a way to use the actual brackets themselves as the mold and just cap off the ends. I'm on vacation all next week, so if I get bored, I may mess with it. Here's what I'm thinking of using, I believe it's an 80 Durometer, which may be a little soft. I'll call my Loctite rep tomorrow and get some details.

http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg...UID=0000000IIY
                      There probably is... my method is better for unusual bushings, not for standard style. Look forwarding to seeing what you come up with for sure!

Comment

There is a book How to cast small metal and rubber parts from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Cast-Small-Met.../dp/0830604146
                        The product they use is Devcon Flexane, I think. Devcon makes on product that you can vary the durometer to fit your needs. People use it to rebuild their motor mounts, etc. I was looking for source of ounces and found one selling pounds: $50.00 a pound. Since I am just making a heater knob for Wife's Celica, I'm off to Hobby Lobby to look at their castable resin.

Comment

Working...
                        X