Timing Belt/Tensioner install help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Belt/Tensioner install help

Im trying to put these back on after i put a new water pump on and it seems almost impossible. Is there a trick anyone uses for this? I tried doing the belt first then the tensioner and I cant stretch that spring over the tiny stub sticking out that holds it. So I am now trying to put the tensioner on first then the belt. No luck.

The space to work in there is really small and I can see it being easier with the engine out but that isnt an option.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Have you taken the passenger side motor mount loose or completely off while supporting the engine with a floor jack?

If not, IMHO that should be your 1st thing to do. With the engine supported with a floor jack you should be able to raise/tilt the engine so it will be easier to work on.

It's too late now, as you have already removed the tensioner but, it's not neccessary to remove the tensioner to change the water pump. Simply loosen the tensioner bolt, slide the idler pulley towards the rear of the engine, snug the bolt, remove the timing belt.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Just did that today. After two days of struggling and bitter cursing, I did a search in this thread.

A couple of comments led me to remove the timing belt, remove the tensioner, hook the spring and pull the tensioner toward the back enough to get the bolt part way in.

Push / pull the tensioner all the way to the back and tighten bolt enough to hold it in place.

Check that the notch in the crank gear is at 12 o'clock position and marks on the cam gear at 12 and 3 o'clock position.

Put timing belt on crank gear about 1/4 inch, keep right side of belt tight and start belt on cam gear, ease back side of belt to right of tensioner, work belt on gears a bit at a time until centered.

Loosen tensioner bolt so that spring pulls it tight and retighten.

Rotate engine a couple of turns clockwise using 13/16 or 21mm wrench on crank nut, stop when crank gear notch is at 12 o'clock.

Check to see that timing is still correct.

If good, put it all together.

I found that to get my v-belt pulleys to come off I had to stick a bar behind the passenger side engine mount and ease the engine over about 3/8 of an inch. I expect to do that again when we get to that part.

Hope it goes well for you.

Paul
      Red Rocket 1988 L, 133,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC, hit guard rail in snow, RIP, saved everything but body
      Black Rocket 1988 L 207,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC, engine, trans, wire harness, radiator from RR
      Red Rocket 2 1988 L 138,XXX miles, 4 sp
      White Rocket 1989 L 128,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC

Comment

Originally posted by Paul39 View Post
        Just did that today. After two days of struggling and bitter cursing, I did a search in this thread.

A couple of comments led me to remove the timing belt, remove the tensioner, hook the spring and pull the tensioner toward the back enough to get the bolt part way in.

Push / pull the tensioner all the way to the back and tighten bolt enough to hold it in place.

Check that the notch in the crank gear is at 12 o'clock position and marks on the cam gear at 12 and 3 o'clock position.

Put timing belt on crank gear about 1/4 inch, keep right side of belt tight and start belt on cam gear, ease back side of belt to right of tensioner, work belt on gears a bit at a time until centered.

Loosen tensioner bolt so that spring pulls it tight and retighten.

Rotate engine a couple of turns clockwise using 13/16 or 21mm wrench on crank nut, stop when crank gear notch is at 12 o'clock.

Check to see that timing is still correct.

If good, put it all together.

I found that to get my v-belt pulleys to come off I had to stick a bar behind the passenger side engine mount and ease the engine over about 3/8 of an inch. I expect to do that again when we get to that part.

Hope it goes well for you.

Paul
        thanks for the help, I had hopes of just sliding the belt off marked a line on the belt and on the top pulley and just line those back up again. But i dont think it is still lined up on the bottom pulley. I have been working at it with the engine mount still attached. Ill get back on it when its not 100+ degrees outside.

Comment

Working...
        X