exhaust cam swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust cam swap

Well today we ( my brother & me) did my exhaust cam swap but it didnt turn out quite like I expected. First it has a very audible lope/rough idle. I dont notice the loss too bad on lower rpms but there is a definate sluggish feel over all even on top end. Does this mean I drilled my gear at slightly the wrong degree retarding my timing? If so I guess I should get the adjustable cam gears? It feels like I am down about 10 or 15 hp on the upper rpm range. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
    1990 Festiva L
    Bp swap, stock tranny

[

I would highly recommend getting adjustable cam gears to get the best results. Right now im at -5 on the intake and +1 exhaust i did notice a big loss in the bottom end but a gain up top. I will be getting the car on the dyno soon so i can get some numbers to see what i gained. Also look into getting a mx3 v6 airflow meter instead of that flappy door. I did take car to track with the cam and was running slower with intake at -5 and exhaust 0 my fastest was 16.5 and before cam it was 15.7 it didn't help that i only got 4 passes and i have to completely change how i launch the car.

http://www.corksport.com/corksport-b...-gear-set.html < best deal i found ships fast.

vvvvvv when i still had flapper.

Last edited by postman101; 08-16-2010, 07:59 PM.
    BP Festiva on MS2 with gsxr itbs Woot!!!

Comment

Mine definately feels better today. I was running 18 degrees btdc before the swap. I advanced about 2 more degrees because it felt sluggish. I also moved the needle 4 teeth looser on the vaf allowing for richer a/f mixture? I figured with cone air filter, header and now cam swap , the a/f mixture might be off. Also my computer seems to take a couple of days to adjust to any mod. If it doesnt continue to improve, adjustable gears are in my very near future
      1990 Festiva L
      Bp swap, stock tranny

[

Comment

we pulled the gear back off yesterday and used a dremel to slot the hole for adjustment purposes. It feels a lot closer to being in time now. It still misses a little on cold start up but smoothes out enough that it will idle by itself in a few seconds. It feels like I have most of my power back. I guess the next couple of days will tell. It still has a slightly choppy idle. Does the exaust cam have enough duration to make it " lope "? A little feedback from some of you guys who have done this swap would mean a lot. I just want to make sure we are doing this right. Thanks.
        1990 Festiva L
        Bp swap, stock tranny

[

Comment

I know on casper (which had the cam swap) it did have a lope in the idle
          -Greg
          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
          Redneck Engineer
          FOTY - '09
          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

< adds exhaust cam to junkyard list... and a set of corksport cam gears to must buy list

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
            1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
              I know on casper (which had the cam swap) it did have a lope in the idle
              Thanks Greg. I had never heard anybody mention it before but now that I know that Casper has a lope I feel better.
              1990 Festiva L
              Bp swap, stock tranny

[

Comment

Working...
              X