Not mechanically inclined...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not mechanically inclined...

My old 97 Aspire is in need of work to get back on the road. The lady who bought it is trying to find out how much it would cost to get the flywheel and starter installed and the new intake put on. It had oil in the coolant so I do not think it blew the head gasket....no coolant in the oil. It has 62k. They mentioned the pressure plate and something else in the clutch but no idea if it needs doing. Maybe throwout bearing. All was fine with clutch before she drove it on the rims for six miles.

Steve,,,,the head gasket is blown! Is this the same lady that had it or someone new?

And no offense.....but I am sure we have heard enough of the story about the car that you do not need to start up about it again.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

How can the head gasket be blown if there is no coolant in the oil? I always thought the oil got contaminated. yes...same lady. Oh well, sorry to bring it up...she asked. Thought I might get an idea on cost by asking you guys.

PS I have about ten people wanting it. One guy is in Michigan..and he wants to drive here to get it. At least it has potentially a caring new owner!
      Last edited by stevewl1164; 08-15-2010, 09:47 PM. Reason: forgot to add something.

Comment

NO no no...I do not mean asking about the problem....I just meant the comment stating about what has happened to the car again. We have all read about it. But since you say it is the same lady.....TAKE THE DAMN THING BACK AND MOVE ON. Sell it to one of the 10 people interested.

As far as the head gasket....it does not have blow to ...lets say...both sides to be blown. If you have oil in the coolant....it is blown.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Well, I needed to know so I do not mislead anyone on the problem with the car. I guess they will find out for sure when they take it apart. Thanks.

Comment

With head gaskets it works both ways oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil than its BLOWN!
            1990 Ford Festiva 196k Automatic (Gone) " It's a small car so you gotta drive it like your ticked off... Small cars need to be driven fast"
            :spam1:is delicious

Comment

You've got it advertised on CL for $200... Just tell any potential buyers it's AS IS. They can figure out what it needs if they buy it.

You never did say whatever came about with her insurance company?

I say cut your losses and move on! Stop dealing with that lady... unless you just like the drama.
              www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
              www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
              Snoopy's
              4621 Atlantic Ave
              Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

Yeah, I just hate seeing it go to the junkyard! I want to make sure whoever gets it doesn't do that to it.

Comment

yep sell it is is as stated above. i recently bought a 94 camry as is so i knew in advance what i was buying

Comment

jeesh I wish I had a place for it, and some spare time and money.
                    89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                    94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                    2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                    1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil, either way, the HG is bad. You tend to see oil in the coolant first because the oil circulation system is more highly pressurized than the coolant circulation system, so the oil will take the path of least resistance. The HG needs to be replaced. Or, as others have already said, sell it as is, with the buyer knowing exactly what will need to be done to it. Just my two cents tho. Whatever you do, stop dealing with this woman. She is bad news, move on.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Is a blown head gasket common on the Fiesta and Aspire? My 88 LX had 234k and never had a problem. What is the cause of a head gasket blowing anyway? Any cause other than overheating?

Comment

Only if it's been abused. Such as this Aspire. She obviously ran it hard when the tires were gone... pushing the rpm's high for long periods of time tends to do the trick.
                          www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
                          www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
                          Snoopy's
                          4621 Atlantic Ave
                          Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

Originally posted by stevewl1164 View Post
                            Is a blown head gasket common on the Fiesta and Aspire? My 88 LX had 234k and never had a problem. What is the cause of a head gasket blowing anyway? Any cause other than overheating?
                            Did you really just call a Festiva a Fiesta??

In answer to your question, blown head gaskets are not "common" to these cars unless they are allowed to overheat. And then it's usually not so much that the HG itself "blows" as it is that the head itself warps, allowing the fluids to flow out. If you do the HG, or have someone do it, make sure when you pull the head, or they pull the head, to take it to a machine shop and have it machined so that it is true. If you change the head gasket, and put the warped head back on, you will have accomplished nothing. I'm sure there are issues other than overheating that can blow the gasket, but damn near every one of these cars that I've seen with a blown head gasket had been allowed to overheat.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

if the car is still around for madness, i'll take it off your hands. and then fix it.... that day.
                              Last edited by FestYboy; 08-20-2010, 05:36 AM.
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                              X