Replaced Water Pump, engine won't stay on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced Water Pump, engine won't stay on

I just got done replacing the water pump on my '93. Put it all back together, and it starts but then just dies very shortly after. I made sure the timing was correct, and everything appears to work fine. It just dies, and then whines. (I think from the starter.) I got it to start once, but as soon as I tapped the accelerator it died. I'm not that great working with cars, and this is the hardest job I've taken on. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    BP, Aspire brakes, stock trans.

Belt tensioner loose may be the whining? I recently found out it causes a whining when loose...:-)
    -Donny
    -1992 Festiva GL
    B6D/E-series.
    -1991 GL
    BP/Broken E-Series. Working on G transmission.

-2011 Mazdaspeed3

Comment

It doesn't seem to be coming from the belt. Also, the radio doesn't work anymore, which I found terribly odd. I have no idea if that's related.

Comment

Could the whining come from the Starter? It not disengaging, which causes the engine to die. Engine dies, it releases?

Comment

check for vac leaks too
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'll check for leaks tomorrow. Is it possible that the timing is off just a bit?

Comment

Things to check:

1. Check the timing. The timing should not bee that difficult. All you have is 2 marks in the camshaft sprocket and 1 mark on the crankshaft sprocket. The cam marks should be on the 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock and the crank should be on the 12 o'clock.
              2. The whining is the timing belt tight not loose. Release the tensioner bold and retighten it without forcing the belt tighter.
              3. Check the ignition timing also.
              4. Check the airflow meter that is correctly attached to the intake and the wiring plug.
              5. Check the idle screw on the throttle body. 750rpm - 850rpm.
              6. Check for the throttle position sensor that the wiring plug is not loose.
              7. Check any fuses in the dashboard and in the engine bay. Replace if blown.
              8. Check for vacuum leaks and also for leaks in the intake tubing.

But most of all check the timing and the airflow meter plug.

Good luck
              Last edited by lancerevo; 08-18-2010, 01:48 AM.
              :festiva: 1995 Kia Pride, 1.3 EFI, manual. :fred:

Comment

Start with the air flow meter - check that the intake hose is connected and that the connector is plugged in. If it starts then dies this is one of the common causes.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
                BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
                BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
                New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Seems like the problem was the Air Flow Meter. The problem was that while my brother and I were taking the airbox out, instead of just unplugging the connector, the port was unscrewed and subsequently...broken. I took apart the top part of the air flow meter, and put the metal connectors back to where they belonged and it works now. Thanks for the help everyone. Now I just need to fix a clanging noise coming from one of the pulleys. Guessing that I just didn't tighten it enough.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesmc View Post
                    Seems like the problem was the Air Flow Meter. The problem was that while my brother and I were taking the airbox out, instead of just unplugging the connector, the port was unscrewed and subsequently...broken. I took apart the top part of the air flow meter, and put the metal connectors back to where they belonged and it works now. Thanks for the help everyone. Now I just need to fix a clanging noise coming from one of the pulleys. Guessing that I just didn't tighten it enough.
                    Check that the bolts of the water pump pulley are small in length and not scraping on the inside metal.
                    :festiva: 1995 Kia Pride, 1.3 EFI, manual. :fred:

Comment

Originally posted by jamesmc View Post
                      You need to solder those connections and reseal the top of the VAF to keep water from getting in and corroding your electronics in there.
                      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                      Your holy ghost will not save you.
                      Your God plutonium will not save you.
                      In fact...
                      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by lancerevo View Post
                        Check that the bolts of the water pump pulley are small in length and not scraping on the inside metal.
                        Hmm...the clang goes away in 3rd-ish gear. Also, I soldered and sealed the air flow meter.

Comment

Working...
                        X