Original Oil Drain Plug Washer Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Oil Drain Plug Washer Material

I've, finally, replaced my much loved and respected 183,000 mile 1990 Festiva L with a 79,000 mile 1994 Aspire.

As soon as I finish going over it, I promise to give a full report of the whole process, but, until then, I have some questions, small and large, which I need help in addressing. I've ordered the Service Manual and the Electrical/Vacuum Manual from an eBay seller, but they haven't arrived yet.

First question: What was the material used in the oil drain plug sealing washer as delivered from the factory? My guess would be copper, but I want to start out doing the best I can for this car.

Other questions will be asked in short individual posts.

Thanks for any help.

John Gunn
    Coronado, CA
    John Gunn
    Coronado, CA

Improving anything
    Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

On my '89 it was copper. It got lost. It's since been replaced with nylon. I thought it was leaking but it's probably the pan gasket which is leaking. Oil drain plugs are a standard generic item at auto parts stores.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

in a pinch you can use some RTV sealer if you clean up the area really well.
      89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
      94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
      2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
      1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

I use whatever washer is on there, and put high-temp grease on the threads. Never have a leak.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I always use copper. It crushes just right so the plug won't leak and won't work its way out (if torqued properly). Airplanes use copper washers extensively for the same reason, even on the spark plugs (two plugs per cylinder, on separate ignition systems).
          88L black, dailydriver
          88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
          4 88/89 disassembled
          91L green
          91GL aqua pwrsteer
          92GL red a/c reardmg
          3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
          1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Nylon will work, as well as delrin, teflon, nylatron, copper...
            Dont use aluminum, steel, or rubber.
            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Based on the input to this thread, I chose to buy some copper washers at AutoZone to use on my new Aspire. I used one of them to install a quick change system that I found at Harbor Freight. When I discovered that my engine needed serious internal cleaning, I removed that system because the flow rate through it was little more than a trickle. I ordered a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve which came with a blue washer, which appears to be fiber, glued in place.

But since I am interested in getting as much of the old oil out of the engine to speed my cleaning efforts, I decided to go back to using the original drain plug. Since the copper washer I had used only once before looked OK, I decided to use it again. That was a mistake. Once the copper has been compressed, it gets hard and refuses to be compressed a second time. When using a torque wrench it gets to a point where all movement of the wrench suddenly stops. As the torque continues to rise nothing moves. Without that feeling of increasing resistance as the wrench turns, I get a very uncomfortable feeling that there is not much tension holding the plug in place.

In addition to the hard, unyielding feel as I tighten a copper washer, the thing leaked. I tried to tighten it some, but it remained hard and resistant. In the end I resorted to loosening the plug enough to put some Permatex Ultra Copper RTV on both sides of the washer. In spite of the fact that oil was leaking down as I shoved it into the space, once tightened it did stop the leak. No more copper washers for me.

In the past I had good luck using the same nylon washer for time after time, and every time I got a nice feeling that as I turned the plug tighter there was a resistance built up that would keep it tightly in place. I didn't use a torque wrench and it never leaked. Or if it did, I had only to turn it a little tighter for it to seal. Until I install the Fumoto valve I'll buy a nylon washer and use it until my engine cleaning procedure is completed.
              John Gunn
              Coronado, CA

Improving anything
              Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

Again, grease on the threads. No leaks.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                X