Alternator Installation Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator Installation Tip

Last week I had to replace the alternator on my 1990 Festiva. I was in a hurry and it seemed to take me forever to get the alternator lined up with the holes on the block that the mounting bolt has to go through.

To get the alternator out I had removed the bracket that the adjusting screw uses to hold the position of the alternator. After about 10 minutes of fruitless effort, even using a small screw driver to feel into the hole to check the alignment, I noticed the bolts that had attached the bracket to the block. Unlike the mounting bolt they had a tip at the end without threads, obviously intended to make threading easier.

Here is what one of them looked like:

Using one of these bolts I was immediately able to push it into the hole in the block while moving the alternator to line up the holes. I then tightened the adjusting bolt to hold that position and replaced the bracket bolt with the mounting bolt, which easily pushed through to the threads necessary for mounting.

String enough of these kinds of tips together, and, pretty soon, a job becomes joy.

John Gunn
    Coronado, CA
    John Gunn
    Coronado, CA

Improving anything
    Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Ummm I'm not sure what you're doing wrong but in my experience an alternator is a 5 minute job on these cars. 12mm and 14mm and its off. Getting it in and out of the tight spot is the hardest part.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
      Ummm I'm not sure what you're doing wrong but in my experience an alternator is a 5 minute job on these cars. 12mm and 14mm and its off. Getting it in and out of the tight spot is the hardest part.
      I second that. I have taken mine off to have it tested 3 times. It always tested good, but for some reason, it kept eating belts... Oh well, it isn't running right now anyway...
      The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
      89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

straight edge

It is very important that there be no runout on the pullies and that they be in alignment. Use a dial indicator with a magnetic base to check for pulley wobble. Also lay a straight edge across both edges of the crank pulley. It should also contact both edges of the alternator pulley. If not, it's time for a shim spacer. Belts should last a long time.

Comment

That is exactly why the bolts have no threads on the end. The bald end is tapered to help align up and make it easier to thread the Fine course threaded bolts, in.

Comment

Working...
          X