Leaking Fluids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Fluids

Ok so new to forum etiquette & so hope this is in right spot & not to dumb a set of questions that have already been answered (I have looked & used search but didn't find em). I've just picked up an automatic 91 festiva that has a 94 aspire motor in it I'm told. It drives & runs great but I have noticed a slight drip from the transmission pan- looks like bad gasket I'm thinking. Is there a how to on replacing it here with fluid type, fluid capacity, torque specs and any other tips? My second question has me a little more concerned- I noticed a little coolant spot on the passenger side kinda under the belts . Now I thought it might be the pump or a hose leaking but its hard to see where its coming from. Any tips on how trouble shoot finding the leak? Well hope you guys can shed some light on this newb & I can get these leaks buttoned up
    Send An Invite If Ya Want

1991 Ford Festiva GL- Auto

Hello Super Dave....welcome to the site. You have posted in the correct section. The tranny gasket can be a bit of a pain......believe me...I have worked on a bunch of them lately. To do the job right you make want to disconnect at least the front tranny mount so you can raise the engine/tranny up a bit so you can get to all the bolts easier. Plus it would help when reinstalling the pan, to help from knowing the gasket from out of alignment. There is a drain plug right between the 2 axles to help keep you from getting soaked with tranny fluid.
    I believe it takes 4.5 quarts when you drain it like that...Mercron III is good.

The leak is going to be iffy....hopefully a hose.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Mercon III Automatic transmission fluid 6.0 quarts per Haynes manual, but actual hands on experience takes precedence.
      Last edited by Pu241; 08-19-2010, 08:34 PM.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I'll post how the repairs go when I'm done.

Comment

Ok so I took off timing belt cover while I was trying to trace the path of the coolant leak in hopes of better light. It seems to be coming from up by the pump & not hoses. So I'd like to take off belts & get a clear look at it & replace the water pump but Ive only changed a water pump on a chevy 350 & 305. So I've never tinkered with a timing belt & am a little cautious as I do know timing is an important thing in a motor if you'd like it to run > I've read about the 2 camshaft marks & the crankshaft mark. Is the line in the lower right hand corner of pic on the belts sprocket the mark I need to line up? Now Im no mechanic but I think I can handle this I just wanna know what to mark before removing anything.

Comment

Working...
          X