Brakes making me nervous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes making me nervous

So today my brakes have recently started to not get stiff when I push on them to stop. I can push the pedal all the way to the floor and it does stop but it takes awhile and doesn't make me feel very safe. Especially since it was raining and I also found out the wipers are in need of replacement.

Any ideas what I should do?
    Previous owner of ZEFstiva

check the fluid level, make sure there are no leaks. Spotting on the ground, leaking between the master cylinder and the booster. Check the brakes themselves....make sure they are not worn out.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Well sometimes they do work correctly its like 75 percent of the time they're acting up. I'll do that in the morning though. I'm not leaking any fluids though. At least I dont see any spots.

Comment

if they work sometimes....I would check and make sure the master cylinder is ok. You will not leak much fluid at all but if it is bad it can cause the problems you mention. When you go to stop....if it starts to go to the floor try and pump the brakes ....if they pump up and stop you like normal....I would replace the master cylinder. Just had the same problem.
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Yeah mine did this, replaced MC and works fine now. Make sure to Bench bleed the MC and you may not even have to bleed the rest of the system.
          90 LX Auto with 120k miles

Comment

That's basically what is happening, how much is this going to cost me

Comment

Originally posted by ENEMY_ View Post
              That's basically what is happening, how much is this going to cost me

Depends on if you can do that work yourself. DIY ( MC swap ) ....$50 maybe.
              sigpic
              The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
              https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
              Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Well if I can't I have friends who can though. Well better to have new parts than broke parts

Comment

yeah, replace the MC like Willie said, and while you're in there, you can use an aspire MC instead (bigger bore), just have to move one line a bit.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                    yeah, replace the MC like Willie said, and while you're in there, you can use an aspire MC instead (bigger bore), just have to move one line a bit.
                    lol...thats what I used....the front line comes out of the top instead of the side. Bent it by hand on the fly. Never bleed it afterwards either. A little fluid in the MC so it was dripping out while working....no air...filled and drove on my way.
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Just got the master cyliander replaced and I fell safe again. Thanks guys. you have been so much help.

Comment

Working...
                      X