possibly a head gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possibly a head gasket?

so, heres the story. after realizing my red 93 was a lost cause due to rust, i snagged an almost rust free 92 with 203,000 miles.

it was running alright, but not the way my red one did. In order to keep it from dying out, i had to have all electrical accessories on.

I went to start it this morning, and it didnt seem to want to start unless i had my foot on the gas. Well, when i finally got it to run, it make a popping sound, and smoke was coming out the tail pipe pretty angrly. Now it sounds like it might be running on 2 cylinders, but no abnormal noises.

I figured i'd ask to see if anyone had any ideas, just to possibly save me some time in fixing it
    1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Sounds like it's loading up with fuel to me. Is the smoke black and does it smell like fuel?
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I don't think it would be a head gasket.
      Have you over heated it?

Quick check for Head gasket failure is coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant.

But typically you'd get white smoke out the tail pipe if you were pulling water into the cylinder.

Anyway, give the above a check, but I think your issue is else where.
      Checkout your plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor to see they car clean and don't have any corrosion or cracks/breaks.
      This is free to cheap just to make sure nothing obvious is wrong.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

problem solved, lol.

apparently there are coolants lines running to the throttle body. The gasket there let go, causing coolant to get in there and into the intake. I realized this of course after i pulled the head off. The car has 203,000 miles on it, should i do the water pump while i'm right here
        1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Comment

Originally posted by ckiesman View Post
          problem solved, lol.

apparently there are coolants lines running to the throttle body. The gasket there let go, causing coolant to get in there and into the intake. I realized this of course after i pulled the head off. The car has 203,000 miles on it, should i do the water pump while i'm right here
          well at least you found the problem.
          Yes....water pump...timing belt....seals. Inexpensive and easy enough to do since you are at the point you are.
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

yea. i was surprised at the conditing of the timing belt, it looks brand new.

oh, and on the bottom of the radiator, near the drain plug, whats that sending unit type thing. It has 2 plugs on it, and neither of them were hooked up on this one or my parts car. My new car seems to take forever (over an hour) to warm up, and the fan dosen't come on.

Comment

Working...
            X