smoking after valve seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoking after valve seals

Okay so i did a complete seal gasket change last week because i was smoking a bit when i first started the car up. I changed all seals accept the piston "O" rings. After i did the valve seals it smokes even more is there a possibility that i didn't put the seals in correctly or i need to change the valves? The valve seals are under warranty so I'm going to replace them if broken and I just bought exhaust valves and intake valves as well to get it all done and out of the way but what could be a cause of the excessive smoking while driving?
    Parker

Off hand I'd say you plugged the leaks around the valves so now more is coming out around the rings? I was told white smoke means worn rings.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Could also be a cracked valve guide. I had this problem once on a Fiat. I ended up with house-sized clouds of smoke out the back end every morning when I started the car.
      88L black, dailydriver
      88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
      4 88/89 disassembled
      91L green
      91GL aqua pwrsteer
      92GL red a/c reardmg
      3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
      1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
        Off hand I'd say you plugged the leaks around the valves so now more is coming out around the rings? I was told white smoke means worn rings.
        blue smoke means rings, white means coolant passing to the combustion chamber. Black smoke means the engine is running too rich.
        Last edited by Fordverde; 08-23-2010, 10:23 AM.

Comment

its white smoke and it does get to be the size of a house so what should i do to fix this problem? new head?
          Parker

Comment

I would replace the head gasket first and if the smoke does not go away replace the head. Is there any coolant mixed with the oil. The oil would be a milky white color.

Comment

no the oil is normal and i replaced the head gasket as well as all the other gaskets and seals. so i think i will have to replace the head. Is there any way to replace the valve guide or is it gonna have to be the whole head?
              Parker

Comment

If it is a valve guide, a machine shop can press out the bad one and press in a new one. In my case with the Fiat (which had an aluminum head on a steel block), it was obvious which cylinder it was in -- that spark plug fouled with wet oil every 100 miles. Besides having to stop to add oil, I had to stop frequently to replace that spark plug. I was driving around with a box of a dozen cleaned-up plugs, replacing that one at the side of the road frequently.

In the meantime, if you have a "neighbor from hell," I suggest pointing the tail end of your car at his house every night so you can envelope his place in your house-sized cloud every morning.
                Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 08-23-2010, 10:34 PM.
                88L black, dailydriver
                88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                4 88/89 disassembled
                91L green
                91GL aqua pwrsteer
                92GL red a/c reardmg
                3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

does it happen every time or just when the car is cold? as you accelerate does the smoke increase?

Comment

ya it happens every time and it doesnt subside as i drive more. it is almost identical symptoms as with alaskafestguys fiat so i am gonna get a new head then rebuild the old one from the ground up with all new guides valves and seals.
                    Parker

Comment

try looking at the throttle body gasket

I am the original

Comment

i have to 2nd that one^

my tb gasket let go and dumped a bunch of coolant into my intake. the car wouldnt run (not well at least) and it was nuking out huge plumes of white smoke
                        1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

^^^
                          Bet you don't have any carbon in your combustion chambers now!
                          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                          '92 Aqua parts Car
                          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                          Your holy ghost will not save you.
                          Your God plutonium will not save you.
                          In fact...
                          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

a very small amount, lol. it cleaned all the carbon off the pistons, lol
                            1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

Working...
                            X