Brakes goto floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes goto floor

Hi! Was driving my Festiva today and went to stop and the brakes just goto the floor. No brakes, pump and no pressure. I checked the fluid and none lost. Its a brand new Master Cylinder just a few months ago. Would it be the master Cylinder? I cant find my receipt so they wont warranty it either. Can a person buy like a rebuild kit for these? Im kinda screwed right now, dont have the money for another.
    Thanx

Hey,

Just wondering, is it doing anything at all when you hit the pedal? Squishy, making noise etc..? If not and the master is new recently I'd check to make sure everything is still connected between the pedal and master cylinder, and it's being actuated. Also have you talked to the place where you bought the master and asked if they might have a record of the purchase?
    Jeremy.S
    1988 black lx 5spd cancer victim
    1989 red lx 5spd , cancer free lots o options,
    1983 Subaru GL 4x4 wagon, It's a monster!

Comment

what store did you get it from.

Comment

Hi, i never checked if it was still connected to the pedal, thats a good idea., I will do that! Thanx!! Its not doing anything like its not even there anymore. Which is weird. Fluids in the reservoir.
        I bought it from Lordco here in town, i called but they said without the original receipt they cant/wont do anything.

Comment

have you check to see if a line broke? add fluid, hit the pedal a couple times and see where the fluid is coming from.
          1973 Cb750 haven't touched it yet with no idea what I am planning on doing with it
          1978 25th Anniversary edition Corvette
          1983 Chevy Elcamino
          1993 Ford Festiva GL
          2003 Hyundia Santa Fe ( Wifes Daily driver)
          some old dodge motorhome I have no idea of the year

Comment

Hi! Feel like an idiot now! LOL Before there was NO brake fluid loss at all I could pump the pedal and had NO brakes of any kind. So parked it at my parents. Went back to check on linkage and guess what puddle under the car, Checked, and found a rusted brake line on the inside of my front fender just above where the flexible line to Caliper meets. I feel like an idiot. LOL. But it didnt lose any fluid before. Weird.
            Thanx everyone!!

Comment

Yeah, the hard line burst just as it passes through the plastic grommet in the fender.
              Standard failure point from corrosion.
              Replace both front hard lines at once and save some trouble.

Don't know about the rear hard lines, but I have had your same experience.
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Yes, right there! Funny how the rest of the line looks in fantastic shape, but right at the grommet its rusted to heck. Good idea on replacing the other at the same time! Thanx, wasnt even thinking that but dont need this to happen when im doing 140. LOL Lucky this happened right after stopping to put some air in my tires, got in and no brakes. Weird how it didnt leak at all till later, just gave me NO brakes.
                Thanx so much everyone!

Comment

Yeah, inside the engine compartment the line looks very good, then inside fender well it goes to hell.

Driver-side hard-line sucks to replace, it is routed behind the fuel filter.
                  Start spraying up the fasteners with PB blaster.
                  Do not forget the hard line to flex line interface.
                  Also would be great time to replace the fuel filter.

I suggest you replace the passenger side hard-line first, it is much easier, and affords you some practice with the connectors.

Good luck!

BTW, I've only had my festiva up to 110.....................................MPH that is!
                  Last edited by Pu241; 08-23-2010, 06:35 PM.
                  '92 Aqua parts Car
                  '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Thanx for the info! I will nail them with some lossener tonight and play with it tomorrow! Yes, way overdue for a fuel filter will look at replacing that also while im there!!

LOL 110 mph . Dammn! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Wldfire View Post
                      LOL 110 mph . Dammn! LOL
                      Yeah, Motoxpress was behind me and we had to show a Cooper how to roll.
                      I had more peddle left, but Will could have smoked me, easily, as he is boosted (16 psi plus or so) and many more HP than me!
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

LOL! Sounds like some really good times! I was pleased with doing 140kms in my little baby! LOL Wish i had one with a aftermarket motor!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X