coolant spurting from reservoir vent tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coolant spurting from reservoir vent tube

MY festy is spurting off coolant from the reservoir vent tube, the coolant should be catched by the reservoir but it doesnt go down the reserve tank, and just spill straight out of the vent tube,, Iam not overheating, the needle of temp. stays in the middle when Iam moving and slightly goes higher in the middle when Iam on idle or waiting at a stop sign, I also dont have white smoke on my tail pipe,
    I recently flushed the radiator about 2 months ago,, I also bought a new radiator cap,, should i just plug that vent tube from the reservoir to avoid spilling coolant? also I discovered rust of the underlying metal parts from where the spill takes place, I assume for years the coolant kept on spilling and the previous owner did not treat the issue developing corrosion form the spill.
    Any idea how to treat the coolant spill properly?
    Last edited by letdtst99; 08-26-2010, 09:38 AM.

Do you know if the radiator fan is functioning?
    Had a similar issue which I determined was due to a non-function fan.
    Replaced fan and no more spilled coolant.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Make sure the tube that goes down in the reservoir isnt plugged up?
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

The fan is wroking, if the needle goes slightly above the middle the fan automatically goes on, and also the tube that goes down the reservoir isn't clogged..
        will it be ok if I just plug the vent tube so the coolant will be contained in the reservoir?
        maybe because of the T connector, the cooloant is easier to spur out rather than go down the reservoir,, just my thoughts and please correct me if Iam wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by letdtst99 View Post
          The fan is wroking, if the needle goes slightly above the middle the fan automatically goes on, and also the tube that goes down the reservoir isn't clogged..
          will it be ok if I just plug the vent tube so the coolant will be contained in the reservoir?
          maybe because of the T connector, the cooloant is easier to spur out rather than go down the reservoir, just my thoughts and please correct me if Iam wrong.
          I think the vent tube is necessary for air-pressure reasons, so coolant can flow from the rad to the reservoir. Plugging it might keep coolant in the rad and cause some unpleasant overpressure problem. If you do plug the vent tube, you should probably drill a small hole in the top of the reservoir somewhere, so that air pressure in the reservoir doesn't keep the rad from sending coolant to it, or maybe blow the reservoir cap off.

First I would take a good look in the cap's T-fitting to make sure there is no obstruction anywhere. You say the tube going down into the reservoir isn't clogged, but I still think it may be; or the clog is in the cap fitting where it connects to the reservoir tube, so the coolant has nowhere to go but out the vent tube.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I will check thoroughly again,, Thanks a lot for the advise!!

Comment

Working...
            X