1991 Festiva will not start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 Festiva will not start.

I have a 1991 Festiva, automatic with 142000 miles on it. It was running great then all of a sudden it died and would not restart, (no ignition). We hauled it home and then it started and ran fine for about half a mile then died. We have spent countless hours checking circuts. It has proper fuel pressure but no fire. The ecm doesn't show any fault codes but we have noticed that when it will start you get the check engine light when you turn the ignition switch on but when it won't start, the check engine light doesn't come on when you turn the ignition switch on. All of the componets in the ignition system have been checked and they test ok.
    Does anyone have any ideas or advice?

Thank You very much in advance
    hopy-d

spark plugs, distributor?

also maybe just runn the motor with only 1/4 tank of gas and add a full bottle of FI cleaner... more concentrated. Actually does wonders to the really bad ones.

Oh and I found out that 94 at the pump makes the car actually have decent power.
    I know I know... pull over

Comment

My first guesses for your problem are distributor or fuel pump going bad. Either one of those can act fine when cold but break contacts and not function properly once warmed up and in use. They get warm or hot and don't function but once the car sits for awhile and cools down they will work as normal.
      Paul
      91GL
      Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

if your 'check engine' lamp doesn't 'prove-out' while the problem occurs, I'd suspect your EGI/EFI fuse (underhood) or the ROOM fuse (underdash). Check the connections at the fuses, and the fuses themselves. I've seen the 15A EGI/EFI fuse burn/corrode partially open, and demonstrate symptoms exactly like you've described.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Thank you very much for your replies. I have spent so much time with the EVTM manual and checking circuit's that I wasn't sure where to go next. I will let every one know what I find.

Again, Thank You
          Hopy-d

Comment

Working...
          X