Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove the wiper rods that are under the grilled metal that is under the wiper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove the wiper rods that are under the grilled metal that is under the wiper

How to remove the wiper rods that are under the grilled metal that is under the wiper blades? My wipers are moving slowly and I want to grease them.
    :festiva: 1995 Kia Pride, 1.3 EFI, manual. :fred:

Access is behind the plate on the firewall...be very careful to pop the ball connectors off squarely, prying them from the one side often breaks them.
    ........... With a lever long enough and a place to stand, you could move the world..........

..................Build thread.................http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29547

Comment

Squirt oil through the grille?
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
        Squirt oil through the grille?
        Yes that's what I did. but where the motor is can't get the oil there because there was a metal shield on top.
        :festiva: 1995 Kia Pride, 1.3 EFI, manual. :fred:

Comment

Doesn't the vehicle fresh air come through that grille? It couldn't (safely) come from inside the engine compartment.

If it does come through there, much of the oil you squirt through the grill will end up coating the inside of all your ducting and you'll never get rid of the odor. Also, the oil would attract dirt.
          88L black, dailydriver
          88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
          4 88/89 disassembled
          91L green
          91GL aqua pwrsteer
          92GL red a/c reardmg
          3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
          1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

As I recall, once you detach the above-mentioned plate from the front surface of the firewall (and, of course, remove the large-diameter boots and thin nuts and washers that hold the wiper attach/pivot points), the WHOLE WIPER ASSEMBLY, complete with motor, comes out in one piece, attached to that plate. You can then lube it easily and then stuff the whole critter back where you got it.

My memory comes from having disassembled about 4 Festies; I've never actually reinstalled a wiper assembly.
            88L black, dailydriver
            88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
            4 88/89 disassembled
            91L green
            91GL aqua pwrsteer
            92GL red a/c reardmg
            3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
            1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Working...
            X