Sway bar bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway bar bushings

Ok so I have to replace the lower sway bar bushings the ones that go through the lca is there anything that I need to know on how to do this is there anything special about doing this job?
    Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

If they are really old then make sure you get all of the old bushing out of the control arm before installing new bushings or they won't want to fit in there right. It's also nice to have a friend hold the sway bar when your bolting it back together, but its not a necessity.

Comment

Tighten the nut till it stops. They have a shoulder to keep everything a set distance.
      -Greg
      Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
      Redneck Engineer
      FOTY - '09
      5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Right now there is a ton of play the old ones are shot. Will these bushings being gone cause there to be alot front to back movement in the wheel because that's whats happening
        Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

Comment

Originally posted by muddevil01 View Post
          Right now there is a ton of play the old ones are shot. Will these bushings being gone cause there to be alot front to back movement in the wheel because that's whats happening
          Yes sir.
          -Greg
          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
          Redneck Engineer
          FOTY - '09
          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Ok I am just making sure that my diagnosis was correct. So nothing special about replacing them it looked fairly easy I just don't want any surprises

Comment

In my experience they also cause a lot of bump steer. Mine used to pass a car on highway by letting off the gas and hitting it again, hands off the wheel. Look ma no hands!

Comment

i called around looking for these bushings today and was told that napa has no listing for them, and ford said they were NLA. the other place we usually use at work was closed so couldnt get them from those guys. where's a good source for these? im in need of the ones that go on the lower rad support too. saw the thread about modifying the generic energy susp. ones but not sure i want to go through all that if i dont have too.

does that make fms the only other real source?

( did notice rock auto has them but would really prefer to get them through the parts dept at work if at all possible)
                Originally posted by scirocco*joe
                Project Car Theorem:
                If
                a) w = all time
                b) x = time spent at work
                c) y = the number of project cars you have
                d) z = amount of time you can spend each project car

Then

z = (w - x) / y

Comment

I got to go to the JY tomorrow and get some protege calipers. There is a festy there that is in great shape. If these bushings that you speak of are in good shape, do you want me to grap them up?
                  89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                  My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Don't get used ones please. New ones are cheap. MOOG part number k9737. You need one kit per side. I think I got them at Kragen's.
                    Oscar

Comment

Them are easy to get, he needs the 2 inner bushings that mount the sway bar to the core support. I dont even think the 2 inners are considered a bushing.
                      Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 09-02-2010, 10:53 PM.
                      89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                      My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
                        Them are easy to get, he needs the 2 inner bushings that mount the sway bar to the core support. I dont even think the 2 inners are considered a bushing.
                        I'm not sure what you are talking about...

Originally posted by muddevil01 View Post
                        Ok so I have to replace the lower sway bar bushings the ones that go through the lca ...
                        Not "inners". MOOG k9737

Originally posted by woodyvw16v View Post
                        i called around looking for these bushings today and was told that napa has no listing for them, and ford said they were NLA. the other place we usually use at work was closed so couldnt get them from those guys. where's a good source for these? im in need of the ones that go on the lower rad support too.
                        "im in need of the ones that go on the lower rad support too"

Too, as in also. Not necessarily "inners".

For the ones that go on the LCAs look above for the part number. For the front (or "inner") swaybar mounts I used universal 1-1/8" (or 1-1/16" can't remember now) energy suspension poly mounts ground down to match the shape of the bracket and base. I had an Aspire front swaybar too (as in also ).
                        Oscar

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post

"rubber isolators"

my searching has yielded only this diagram on fms's site that merely points and labels that for which i am searching as "rubber isolators"- the google/parts search that followed yielded no useful information. just alot of different versions of the moog number listed above (which i do need and was helpful- but i need the other ones too)

i may make an attempt to cast some in urethane... just like filling motor mounts but different.
                          Originally posted by scirocco*joe
                          Project Car Theorem:
                          If
                          a) w = all time
                          b) x = time spent at work
                          c) y = the number of project cars you have
                          d) z = amount of time you can spend each project car

Then

z = (w - x) / y

Comment

Like I said above, you can use Energy Suspension universal polyurethane swaybar mounts/bushings/isolators.

You need to make sure to use the stock Festiva/Aspire body bracket. Grind down the ES bushing and it will fit well. I used a 4" grinder with a 40 grit sand paper wheel. It's been done several times before.

Discuss improvements to your Festiva or Aspire in the handling, braking, wheels and tires areas.
                            Oscar

Comment

Working...
                            X