So it turns out you can repair a fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So it turns out you can repair a fuel pump

A little background, my 97 Aspire sat for over 5 years with a little bit of gas in the tank. The fuel pump did not test open but would not start. I soaked it for days first in paint thinner and then in carb cleaner in an attempt to get it to spin again. Having nothing left to lose and facing about $130 for a new pump I took it apart. On the bottom (pickup side) you can un-crimp the housing and pull the bottom off exposing the impeller. I cleaned the buildup with a pick and spun the motor several times by hand. To my surprise when I put it back together and crimped it, the fuel pump worked. So as it turns out you can fix a froze fuel pump. I did not take it apart any further but once the impeller is off of the motor shaft it looks that you can drop the windings and communicator from the housing, to get to the brushes. I hope this helps a few here, I wish I would have taken photos. All in all I will keep an eye on it to ensure that it continues to work and maybe order a spare when I get paid just to have one so I do not get stranded but I pumped a few quarts through it and it worked great! One thing that is neat is seeing how much it can move in such a short time.

awsome info!!

Comment

my old mr2 i had, had a bad fuel pump in it and to get the tank out in those cars is a BIG BIG job... and i wasnt about to do it to my car after doing it to my friends car a few weeks before that lol... it had been sitting in a fild with old gas for about 4 years and the fuel pump was done... what i did to get it going again was unplug it in the cab and get a car battery and some wires that will reach to the battery and fuel pump (about 2 feet for my car...) then apply power to it using the wires but apply it for about 1 sec in the normal way it would get power (+to+ and -to-) then apply power in reverse (+to- and -to+) then do that a few times and after a while it should get the pump to spin free again... it worked for me, and it takes ALOT less effort to do this than taking out the pump and cleaning it...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
      1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
        my old mr2 i had, had a bad fuel pump in it and to get the tank out in those cars is a BIG BIG job... and i wasnt about to do it to my car after doing it to my friends car a few weeks before that lol... it had been sitting in a fild with old gas for about 4 years and the fuel pump was done... what i did to get it going again was unplug it in the cab and get a car battery and some wires that will reach to the battery and fuel pump (about 2 feet for my car...) then apply power to it using the wires but apply it for about 1 sec in the normal way it would get power (+to+ and -to-) then apply power in reverse (+to- and -to+) then do that a few times and after a while it should get the pump to spin free again... it worked for me, and it takes ALOT less effort to do this than taking out the pump and cleaning it...
        Ditto.

Comment

Working...
        X