Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control Arm Help!!!

1989 L Four Speed Carbed

The inning bushing on my control arm has been clunking since I got my 89 in Sept. There was a break in the cold weather so I decided to replace it. I knew that the PO had tried to have them replaced at her local garage. The head on bolt was all boogered up with weld. There was no way for me to loosen it, which is also what I assume happened to the repair shop. I attempted to weld a nut to what was left, but it just snapped off. So I ground the head off and pounded the bolt inwards and then cut it. Long story short I have the bolt out and the control arm off, but the rest of the bolt is in the captive nut inside the sub-frame. That is also pounded up and out of the way. I can get my fingers in far enough to put a nut in there with a new bolt, but I am not sure how I am going to hold it to tighten the bolt.

Any ideas or or successful solutions on what others have done in the past?

Thanks in advance
    89 L

Same thing happened with me on both sides. I pried the captive nut away and got a new bolt and nut. I was able to just tighten it up, it didn't spin. If it does spin then try sticking a screwdriver in there against the nut flats to hold it still. Put a lock washer under the head of the bolt since it will be too hard to get it in under the nut.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I figured if I was to bump it with the impact wrench it would probably grab. I just wanted to see what other's might say while I was taking my dinner break. Have to go out and find a nut tomorrow I guess.

Luckily I kept the Aspire LCA bolts that came out with ease so I don't have to go searching for the bolts.

89 L

Comment

Working...
      X