B6T trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6T trouble

Okay so after 9 passes at the strip last night my ~155,000 mile B6T is having some pretty decently big issues. Its now pretty obviously running on 3 cyls (I think its #2 thats down). The turbo spools REALLY slow. And its going through oil like crazy. Oil everywhere. Its also burning it. Any amount of boost results in a huge plume of oil smoke blowing out of the back of the car for a half mile. Other than that the engine actually feels smooth while driving. Idle sucks but at cruise it just feels down on power. Sounds like 3 cyls though.

I'm officially declaring it out of daily driver status. I'd like to check compression and all that stuff sometime but I have a feeling its needing a rebuild or something. It doesnt really knock or tick bad or anything like that but it is up there on miles.

So before I dive into it does anyone have any real ideas what could be wrong? Its all basically stock besides a rocketchip ECU and ~16-18 psi.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Bad valves seals on the #2 cylinder? If your burning oil then its either that, bad rings, or the HG is starting to go. Oh ya maybe the turbos oil seal is bad on the hot side? Just some ideas.
    Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 09-09-2010, 09:59 AM.
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Turbo going out could be quite possible as I guess the lil VJ14 doesnt take too well to higher boost.

Wouldnt explain the dead cyl though I'm hoping its just the top end.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

So what did it run?
        -Greg
        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
        Redneck Engineer
        FOTY - '09
        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Best ET was 14.13, best MPH was 102.67. Best 60' was 2.35.

Any ideas about the motor?
          91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

maybe change the (6) to a (p)... that would solve your problem lol...

compression check it or if you can a leak down test...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
            1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

I was planning on a comp check first thing. How do you do a leak down test anyway?

It seems like #2 is the dead one. At least, it didnt seem like it ran any different with the #2 plug wire unhooked.

Guess I'm gonna have to prepare my tbird for DD duty again... the 92 just got a 39 mpg fill though, so that will be the primary driver between the two of us. Tbird gets 25-30 during the summer. And maybe 20 during winter lol.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

leak down test it you just put a compression gauge on it spin the motor until it gets up to compression and check it then let it sit there and check it after a couple minutes and measure the difference from the first time you checked it to the second...
                1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

pull the plugs, maybe one cylinder maybe fouled from the oil, i would start by pulling plugs

Comment

Are you running a blow off valve? Maybe you hurt the compressor on the turbo boosting 18 lbs with the stock blow off? These engines should be able to do 16 lbs all day long i heard but i haven't cranked mine up to that pressure... I ran a 13.9 in mine on 9 lbs cant imagine what 16 lbs feels like...
                    1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Fried or broken rings & maybe the begging of turbo seals failure.
                      :festiva: 1995 Kia Pride, 1.3 EFI, manual. :fred:

Comment

Originally posted by Flyin4stroke View Post
                        Are you running a blow off valve? Maybe you hurt the compressor on the turbo boosting 18 lbs with the stock blow off? These engines should be able to do 16 lbs all day long i heard but i haven't cranked mine up to that pressure... I ran a 13.9 in mine on 9 lbs cant imagine what 16 lbs feels like...
                        Yeah SSQV knockoff.
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Originally posted by Flyin4stroke View Post
                          You serious 9 lbs? You musta had some serious traction. Street tires or slicks?

16 lbs is pretty nice but was totally useless in the first two or three gears. 102.7 mph is supposed to be good for 13.30's. I'm quite astonished I went as fast as I did.
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                            You serious 9 lbs? You musta had some serious traction. Street tires or slicks?

16 lbs is pretty nice but was totally useless in the first two or three gears. 102.7 mph is supposed to be good for 13.30's. I'm quite astonished I went as fast as I did.
                            He ran a 13.9 on the stock 12's with kumho street tires, and then again on bald 15's. I've had his car for a couple months and now it's gonna go mid/low 13's all day.

I'd take a look at the plugs and try switching them around, next thing would be pull the down pipe and see how much oil is in there.

14.1 isn't bad at all. I ran 14.0 with my b8-me on 10 lbs. But trapped 98 mph. My car is heavy in the front so it hooks up good. A/C weighs me down.
                            -Greg
                            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                            Redneck Engineer
                            FOTY - '09
                            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Thats crazy, how do you hook up?

Im thinking due to the amounts of oil blowing out under any boost theres a little more wrong than just the plugs :/
                              91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Working...
                              X