timeing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timeing help

This is my 1st festiva. Its a 1991 1.3l 5 speed.

How do i check the timeing? I do have an old timeing gun if itll help.
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

First, it sounds like you would be well advised to get a manual for your car. The Ford Service Manual would be best and is easily found on eBay for around $10.

The first step to setting the timing is to identify the two marks, one on the lower timing belt cover and the other on the crankshaft pulley, that need to be aligned. Clean them off so you can see them or coat them with white chalk if the paint is worn off.

Then, you need to ground the "Set Timing Connector" to prevent the computer from trying to fine-tune idle speed and/or timing while you are setting them.

Make sure the idle speed is exactly 700 RPM, for a manual transmission. Attach an induction triggered timing light, and point it at the location of the lower timing belt cover pointer. There are two marks on the crankshaft pulley, a white one at 10 degrees before TDC and a yellow on at TDC. The pointer should be aligned with the white one.

It may appear that there is too little space for you to get a view of the pointer, but it is possible. It will help if you do this in the shade or at night.

When the timing is set, recheck the idle speed, then be sure to remove the "Set Timing Connector" grounding jumper.

This is an extremely well designed car which, I have found, consistently justifies and abundantly rewards your best efforts and most careful attention.

John Gunn
    Coronado, CA
    Last edited by JohnGunn; 09-11-2010, 01:39 AM.
    John Gunn
    Coronado, CA

Improving anything
    Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

Working...
    X