Timing belt to tight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt to tight

Just wanted to know if anyone else has bought a timing belt here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-97...item45ee45d151

and found that it seemed very tight. When I just put it on the b3 im re-building, I had to really fight to put it on. I tried putting it on without the tensioner, and with the tensioner. I tightened the tensioner bolt with the tensioner as loose as it would go, put the belt on, and went to loosen the bolt figuring the spring would pull the belt tight. Instead it ended up loosing the tensioner more, because the spring dosent have enough strength to tension the belt.

It just seems strange that that it so ungodly tight, even without the tensioner. I've never done a belt before, only timing chains, and after searching on here, i found that a belt thats to tight is no good.

i'm going to contact the seller about this, but i figured i'd ask for some insight here as well.
    1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

count the teeth from your old belt and the new belt, if they don't match, you were sent the wrong belt.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

that makes sense, lol now i just need to find my old belt.
      1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Comment

spare belt was nowhere to be found, but i counted 108 teeth

Comment

Third post in a row:

I took some pictures to show what i mean:

don't mind the hob gobbed rtv

Comment

Originally posted by ckiesman View Post
            I tightened the tensioner bolt with the tensioner as loose as it would go, put the belt on, and went to loosen the bolt figuring the spring would pull the belt tight. Instead it ended up loosing the tensioner more, because the spring dosent have enough strength to tension the belt.
            I'm not sure I understand what you describe in the above statement.

When you say, "with the tensioner as loose at it would go," do you mean with the tensioner spring as loose as it would go? If that is what you did, that would place the tensioner wheel in the location which would make the belt its tightest and you would expect releasing the bolt would allow the belt to pull the wheel away from that "tightest" position to one controlled by the tensioner spring.

More helpful is the suggestion of measuring the length of the new belt and comparing that to the factory specifications. You can find reference to those specs at the following link. Click on "engine" and then "timing belt" to see a list of available belts.

RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.

I've been dealing with a noise which I believe to be coming from my tensioner and need to go in and test the bearings on mine. How does the new tensioner feel when you rotate it by hand? Does it spin or does the grease packed in it prevent it from turning that freely? Thanks for that.

John Gunn
            Coronado, CA
            Last edited by JohnGunn; 09-11-2010, 03:11 PM.
            John Gunn
            Coronado, CA

Improving anything
            Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

I mean the actual position of the tensioner pulley. I should have been more clear. The pulley wont go any looser, and it is still to tight.

and as for that pulley, it turns nicely. You wont feel any binding. You can however feel a little bit of resistance, just as you would expect with a new bearing.

Comment

What I would do is rotate the engine by hand and make 2 revolutions of the crankshaft and if the timing marks still line up then it should be the right belt

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

they did line up after 2 revolutions. I tried that earlier today, just to be safe. I just dont want to get this motor back in only to find i need to change the belt again

Comment

If its like any other timing belt I have ever done, on the compression stroke the belt gets tighter and on the down stroke it loosens just a bit. I was also taught that after replacing a new timing belt, your suppost to rotate the engine by hand atleast six times then re check your timing. If you can press on the belt with your finger and it gives in just alittle then your good to go. The tension will adjust as the belt wears in.
                    Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 09-11-2010, 07:53 PM.
                    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

ok, good. I was worried i'd have another set back to getting my festy on the road

Comment

Originally posted by ckiesman View Post
                        ok, good. I was worried i'd have another set back to getting my festy on the road
                        Just to be sure, you do understand that you should only install this new belt if it has "exactly" 107 teeth? From your picture of the installed belt, it is clear that the pitch (distance between teeth) is correct, so if the number of teeth is correct the length of the belt will be correct.

The actual length of the belt "is" important. The tensioner spring is designed to apply the proper tension on a belt of the specified length. If the belt is too long, the tension set by the spring will be too loose, if too short, the tension will be too tight.

So much easier to get things right with the engine out.

John Gunn
                        Coronado,
                        John Gunn
                        Coronado, CA

Improving anything
                        Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGunn View Post
                          So much easier to get things right with the engine out.

so true. I counted 108. But i'm going to re-count tomorrow.

thanks for the help guys

Comment

Your picture shows it fits good. It might be a little bit smaller than a standard timing belt.

Comment

Working...
                            X