Font end is 'clunking' over bumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Font end is 'clunking' over bumps

I noticed that the front end of my Festy makes a 'clunk' sound over curbs and what not.

What do I need to fix? A friend of mine said ball joints? And where can I find parts like that for my 1989 Festy?
    1989 Ford Festiva
    Mileage: 152,000

Probably front end suspension components.

I had a clunk and my entire radiator core support was rotted, eek!

Comment

Autozone or any other local parts store. Jack the front up and take the tires off to inspect the problem. Mine does this same thing only because my whole front end (tie rods and lower control arms) need replaced. Ball joint comes with the LCA's.
      Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 09-12-2010, 10:03 AM.
      89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
      My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

After replacing the control arms on my car I got that. Had to go back and tighten one of the pinch bolts. You should fix it. The control arm could separate like it did on my car. Luckily turning at low speed. Had to get it towed home.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Check the struts too! I had one blow and loose its fluid and it made a big clunking noise over bumps.
          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by crunde85 View Post
            I noticed that the front end of my Festy makes a 'clunk' sound over curbs and what not.

What do I need to fix? A friend of mine said ball joints? And where can I find parts like that for my 1989 Festy?
            Maybe it's clunking because you are driving over curbs.

But seriously, jack it up, remove a wheel, visually inspect and wiggle things. Then do the same on the other side. You will probably notice what is causing it. If you have a Haynes manual, it will help in identifying parts so you can tell us what it is, or take a picture. If you don't feel like you have the technical expertise to diagnose this, you probably know someone who does.

If nothing seems obviously wrong with the suspension parts, maybe it is somewhere else like the radiator core support. Or maybe you left a socket in the engine compartment.

Parts are readily available at the McParts stores.
            Last edited by TominMO; 09-13-2010, 12:03 PM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Check it sooner rather than later, last thing you want is that control arm to seperate while your at highway speeds!

Comment

Working...
              X