Steering rack removal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering rack removal question

I want to remove my rack to better access my brake/fuel hardlines for replacement, and also to better examine the rack and clean the engine bay on AquaMutt.

The engine/transaxle and most of the front suspension is already out to make this easier. I've also removed the crossmember, shifter assembly and the exhaust system.

The Ford shop manual describes removing the whole steering column from inside the car first, then removing the steering rack.

Is this really necessary? Can the rack be taken out without fully removing the steering column? I really don't want to take apart anything I don't have to at this point! I want to bring Aqua to FM4. Time is ticking!

Thanks,

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 09-12-2010, 01:43 PM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Should be able to remove the rack after loosening the steering knuckle under the dash.
    Although reinstalling will probably become a two man job
    (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

Yep, I was wondering if I could just unbolt the u joints under the dash to release the steering gear connection.

I may try that first. Thanks!

Karl

Comment

Safety Guy, I applaud your being thorough in your maintenance but I don't think you gain much in the way of access for brake and fuel line by removing the rack.
        As far as inspecting the rack goes, you have already removed everything else that would hinder an good inspection.
        I vote you save yourself some serious time and frustration and leave the rack alone unless it is giving you problems.
        I assume the tie rod boots are intact?
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

It needs new boots--the current ones are over 70% gone. No telling how much grit has accumulated, but I was going to either clean them up as best I could or use Muttstiva's rack, which has mostly intact boots.

I think I'll see about loosening up the steering column but not removing it entirely. Maybe I'll disassemble Mutt's rack first to see what I'm getting into.

As for hard line access, the rack is right in front of a small plate that the lines run behind or through, so I really want more room.

Karl

Comment

It appears that I won't be taking out the steering column and rack. I think I'll have enough space to work on the lines by simply unbolting the rack and moving it a few inches out of the way! Also, by removing what was left of the cruddy worn rack boots, more visibility is produced. I'll replace the rack boots after I have redone the hard lines and before I put the engine back in. I'll try to remember to get pictures of the process showing the room I have to work with.

Much better than spending another hour or so removing a buncha parts I didn't want to remove!

Karl

Comment

Working...
            X