Intermittent Wiper Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent Wiper Swap

Does anyone know if and/or where there might be a writeup for switching a non inter wiper with an inter. My head light stalk has a three wire connector coming out of it that the intermittent wiper full assembly does not have. Something tells me I wouldn't have headlights.
    Thanks,
    Tex

Go to the JY and pick up a variable-intermittent wiper switch from a late-80s 626. It will look like ours (square stalk), but have that intermittent scale on it and also probably a cruise-control switch on the end.

Undo the four screws holding the steering column cover in place. Remove the steering wheel centerpiece and the steering wheel (Pulling the wheel is not necessary but makes it easier).

You need not only the wiper stalk itself, but also the module it connects to on the steering column. That module is held on by three small Phillips screws. They are somewhat difficult to get off but not super bad. I've done this about six times. For the one on the far right, you might want to use an offset Phillips screwdriver, or otherwise get creative. The other two are easier. If you remove the steering wheel, you can slide the whole switch assembly toward you to give you more room for that right-side screw.

There is one main six-pin connector to unclip on the top of the module. There are also some small wires on a wiring loom going into the stalk that you can just cut. They are for the cruise control.

Then take your old one off (now you know how), and install the variable-intermittent one in its place.

As an alternative, with the steering wheel off you can remove both sides of the switches together, in case you want the 626 light switches on the left side. It comes off pretty easily as a unit (keft and tight sides); just more wiring thingys to unclip.
    Last edited by TominMO; 09-12-2010, 07:01 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Here's a pic of the stalk you want..

91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Here's another pic of it. Note that the wires you see going into the stalk can all be snipped off if you are not planning on somehow using them for cruise control. I have no idea how to give us cruise control BTW. But a variable-intermittent wiper switch is a great upgrade!

Last edited by TominMO; 09-12-2010, 08:22 PM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

^ what Tom said, and also be UBER careful with the little tab on the end of the stalk as they are easy to break. i use a small pic to sneak it our of the way so that when the modual is ready to come out there's no tention on the tab and therefore no breakage.

actually, all you REALLY need is just the modual, you CAN reuse your old stalk if needed (non varriable INT wiper modual like from the LXs or 323s)
          Last edited by FestYboy; 09-12-2010, 10:11 PM.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

What year is your festiva ? Done it many times. Below is one of the threads

Discuss enhancing your Festiva or Aspire interior and exterior (including custom paint, bodywork, seats, etc)
            Last edited by freshtiva; 09-12-2010, 10:11 PM.
            sigpic
            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Working...
            X