Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What RPM does the shift light come on at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What RPM does the shift light come on at?

I found out this morning that my shift light does actually work, but way higher in the RPM range than i thought. Is the shift light set up to tell you when you're hitting or approaching redline or is it like most cars and tells you the optimum shift point per gear?

I'm running seafoam through my gas and i've been driving it hard the last 2 times i've driven it..harder than i ever have. This engine runs SO good...no smoke, no ping or knock...it revs to the moon. I need to get a tach...but until then could someone tell me or test and find out for me, what RPM does the shift light come on at in each gear on a stock 4 speed car with 12 inch tires?

By the way, ^^^ That's 99.9% city driving :cool:

shift light comes on according to engine load, not RPM. it's there to help w/ fuel economy.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Any idea how that's calculated and what does the calculating? It seems like mine only ever comes on when i'm driving it hard and at high RPM, close to what sounds like redline.

Comment

May be the factory manual or the owner's manual should say something

Comment

ECM controled, it has a look-up table that it goes buy to activate lamp. i don't know what else the ECM looks for to activate the light.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Since you don't have a tach, you're probably imagining that the shift light comes on at higher rpm's. Our engines sound like they're revving their little hearts our even at 3000 rpm. Chances are that it's working fine, but you think it's high rpm's when the light comes on.
            If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
            Mark S.

Comment

Originally posted by deathegg View Post
              Since you don't have a tach, you're probably imagining that the shift light comes on at higher rpm's. Our engines sound like they're revving their little hearts our even at 3000 rpm. Chances are that it's working fine, but you think it's high rpm's when the light comes on.
              Yeah that's why i was asking someone to verify what theirs shifts at. I can tell you almost exactly what RPM a wound out 302 is running but i don't have enough experience with these engines to know what i'm hearing. All i know is when the light flashes it sounds like the damn thing is screaming lol. If that's the optimum shift point, then i'm shifting WAY low in the RPM range, like probably 1500rpm.

Comment

these cars have shift light? should my 93 have one? never seen it come one and shift @ about 5500 + RPMS
                73 pinto sedan 2.0/auto stock
                74 pinto h/b turbo 2.3/t5/8.8=4:10
                79 pinto wagon 2.3/4speed light mods
                96 f250 daily driver work/tow rig
                93 festiva 1.3/5speed
                1973 pinto custom teardrop trailer
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzDxRzM4vMM

wanted cars
                79 ford courier
                60-70 datsun PU
                LEE CAR
                horizon 2.5 turbo swap
                75 honda cvcc b18 or vteck swap
                71 datsun 510 wagon (4th car ownd 1 i drove daily)
                older vw rabbit & dasher
                1936 ford truck
                cobra kit turbo2.3 5speed

Comment

I remember asking this exact question when i first got my 88 Carb. Shift light still working to this day lol.
                  91 Festiva L no options, not one. 92 240sx sr20det, 2012 Kia Soul Red Rock Edition.

Comment

Originally posted by apintonut View Post
                    these cars have shift light? should my 93 have one? never seen it come one and shift @ about 5500 + RPMS
                    Just '88 and '89 with a non-tach gauge cluster have the shift light.
                    '90 LX

Comment

The shift light on my carb'd '89 comes on at 40 kph (about 25 mph?) to shift into 4th gear which is good for fuel economy because the speed limit on residential streets here is 40 kph.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I shift at 10/20/30 mph, so that sounds about right or at least close, which means for whatever reason my shift light must be coming on way late.

Comment

What? Shiftlight? Where? Picture/Video pls =)

Comment

I thought mine was broken, till somebody said that it only came on 88-89 cars.

Comment

When i first got my car, it was working for about the first 3 days...then it went way and i thought it died until the other day i was beating on it and it came on way up in high rpms. It does it ever time too...i'm totally confused because i know it didn't come on that high up before.

Comment

Working...
                              X