Grill removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grill removal?

I wasn't sure if this belonged in custom body or not...my grill was busted up so i ripped it off...what's the proper way to remove them without breaking the clips, so i know ahead of time when i pull one off another car?

By the way, ^^^ That's 99.9% city driving :cool:

squeeze

Just squeeze with your fingers from behind and it should release.

Comment

A lot of people on here collect grill clips... put up a WTB thread and I'm sure you could pick up a set for under $10 shipped if you can't find any local ones nearby.
      1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
        Just squeeze with your fingers from behind and it should release.
        an eaiser way is to get them from the front... in front of where the clip is there will be a little tab that you can push to the side or up and down (i cant remember which way they all go but they are easy to figgure out...) and the is will leave the tab in the car not the grill... then just rotate then and they will pop out...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
        1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Easiest way I've found to remove is using sasquatch's method above with a flathead screwdriver to push the tabs, some go up, some go down, you can pretty much just look at where they need to be. Best to start with the bottom two then do the top from one side to the other. Don't forget to take out the philips head screw in the very center before you start on the clips!

To reinstall remove all clips from the car and put them back in theirs slots on the grill, then push the grill back on till they all click and install the middle screw. Done!

P.S. If you have a junkyard nearby most any early 90's Mazda grill clip will fit. Usually a lot easier to find 1st gen Proteges and '88-'92 MX6/626s than Festiva's (grab the '88-'92 MX6/626 power mirror switch too, it fits festivas!)
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Sweet...i have to find another grill too. Mine was busted up pretty bad, and after my running issues causing severe bucking, it was hanging half off so i just yanked it off. I tried getting the clips out and ended up breaking half of them and the others were already broke.

Comment

I repaired my grill with epoxy adhesive back in the early '90's. Still looks good.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Yeah, i thought about repairing mine but pieces were already missing when i got the car.

Comment

Working...
                X