Random no start problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random no start problem

Well my '93 started acting up today out of the blue it wouldn't start it would crank but not start so I checked for loose connections and all I get back in the car and it starts so I start driving it home and it quits just like someone shut the ignition off so again I open the hood and check things and it still doesn't start so after a bit of cranking I decide to push the car off of the road and wait for a ride well I get it coasting in gear with my foot on the clutch my foot slips and the car starts I drive it home and shut it off and it restarts and after about a dozen or so restarts I couldn't get it to duplicate the problem so I drive it to a friends house to see what he thought and when I get there and shut it off and it won't start we've tried everything we can think of and still no start any ideas? sorry for the long post
    Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

module inside the disty.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Can I buy the module new or is it a jy part? also how do I change the module? Can it be tested?
      Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

Comment

yes , yes, yes....expensive. It can be tested, it is expensive new. Ebay is your best bet for price if you want new. JY is best bet all together. Get the whole disty and just swap it out. Or if you know someone that has a disty see if they will let you use it to verify it is the problem.
        Not exactly sure how to change it....never have. But if I had to I could.
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

could also be the coil cutting out on you.
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Ebay has module's.....so does the JY!
            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Tomorrow I'm gonna try the coil and disty out of my '91 as I know it is good hopefully it's just the coil

Comment

Originally posted by muddevil01 View Post
                Tomorrow I'm gonna try the coil and disty out of my '91 as I know it is good hopefully it's just the coil
                cool....you have one to pull from with known good parts. It will help a lot. good luck
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                I will sleep when I die!

Comment

ok I have no fuel pressure so there is a couple questions first is the fuel pump relay the one on the driver side front fender? and also will the pump out of an aspire work because I can get one from a buddys wrecked aspire

Comment

How do you go from "no start" to no "fuel pressure?"
                    Did you find something else or did something else break.
                    Think the aspire pump should work, but you will have to swap the just the pump itself onto the pump/sender assembly of the festiva.
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

well with out fuel pressure the car won't start I finally was able to do further testing to find out that I had spark so the next step was to check for fuel pressure and I found that the pump wasn't working ok so the aspire pump will work if I put it into the festiva sending unit is there a way to test the fuel pump relay?

Comment

Just seems odd that the fuel pump would work intermittently.
                        Did you check your VAF connection, as there is a microswitch in it that permits the fuel pump to run.
                        Have you tried applying 12 volts direct to the pump to see if it truly has failed?
                        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                        '92 Aqua parts Car
                        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                        Your holy ghost will not save you.
                        Your God plutonium will not save you.
                        In fact...
                        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I thought it was odd that it would be intermittent as well I didn't know about the micro switch in the vaf I will check and I am just getting ready to hard wire the pump to see

Comment

I think the fuel relay is drivers side under the dash.
                            Also on the fire wall under the hood around the coil/wiper motor there is a relay bypass wire, hook up a jumper to the positive terminal on battery, this will make the pump run with a bad relay, pending the pump is good.

Best to look at a wire diagram. I don't remember exactly
                            which wire it is, when I need to do this I just trial and error. but my methods more risky
                            (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

Also check the fuel cutoff switch. I had some that would pop off on their own, and one that wouldn't be off but tap it with a screw driver and it would shut off the car and still
                              Show good.
                              (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

Working...
                              X