seized park plug seperation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seized park plug seperation

So my sister-in-law got a festiva. I'm doing some tune up things to it. I'm doing the spark plugs when the first one just gave. No resistance just snap.

It did somthing similar to this but the part that the socket goes on to came out with the rest. All thats left in the head is the threaded bit.

Any ideas on how to get the rest out? Keep in mind the part the socket would go on to IS NOT stuck in the head. These were original plugs.

-Scott
    Aqua 93 L
    Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
    White 06 Ford Escape XLT

if the center is all the way then I would say an easy out.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

take it in

Take it in an have a profesional get the rest out. Just bite the bullet this time.

Comment

PB blaster and be very careful with an easy out.

No drilling, so just need to get an easy out that fits.
        After making sure it has been well and truly saturated with PB blaster.
        Be careful not to strip the aluminum threads from the head or a heli-coil will be needed for like $40.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

And when you install the new ones, use anti-seize on the threads. I got a little packet of anti-seize the size of ketchup from fast food from Auto Zone with new plugs.

Paul
          Red Rocket 1988 L, 133,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC, hit guard rail in snow, RIP, saved everything but body
          Black Rocket 1988 L 207,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC, engine, trans, wire harness, radiator from RR
          Red Rocket 2 1988 L 138,XXX miles, 4 sp
          White Rocket 1989 L 128,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC

Comment

Oh shes stuck.
            So much that the easy out broke.
            Looks like the heads commin off.

-Scott
            Aqua 93 L
            Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
            White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

That...really...sucks.....drool

That sounds like something that would happen to me!

BUT HEY...what size easy out? Can you go one size bigger? If you know how to use an easy out, you should be able to drill it bigger if needed. Just be careful. A bigger size easy out will be stronger.
              Last edited by drddan; 09-14-2010, 09:34 PM.
              Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
              Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
              http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

it sounds like you need some sasquatch help i got an old head that i think we can use... i was just gonna scrap it but i think with a bit of work it should be fine... ill pull it apart a bit and see if its good or not.... it ran good on my motor....

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                  That...really...sucks.....drool

That sounds like something that would happen to me!

BUT HEY...what size easy out? Can you go one size bigger? If you know how to use an easy out, you should be able to drill it bigger if needed. Just be careful. A bigger size easy out will be stronger.
                  Thats what I thought man! SO I used the biggest easy out! It broke! And in the head to boot!

Thanks for the suggestions/help all. It seems like it might not be all bad. I was thinking with all of these original parts.....that its probobly the original timing belt as well! So it wont be all wasted effort.

Mike has the know how and maybe parts to help too! This site is great!

-Scott
                  Aqua 93 L
                  Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
                  White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

maybe get a little PnP action... race cam too

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                    1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Cars probably shot...not worth fixing...yeah...so... just to be nice I'll take it off yer hands muhahaha err I mean . Especially one THAT color....yuck! Seriously though your in good hands with the Sasquatch. I'm betting this will turn into a beneficial mishap
                      Jeremy.S
                      1988 black lx 5spd cancer victim
                      1989 red lx 5spd , cancer free lots o options,
                      1983 Subaru GL 4x4 wagon, It's a monster!

Comment

Working...
                      X