No announcement yet.

Fix for those damn automatic seatbelts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix for those damn automatic seatbelts!

Those damn automatic seatbelts were such a pain in the butt! This is what mine would constantly do in my '93 Festy:

-Seatbelt light would go on and off intermittently, like a damn disco show!
    -Buzzer would would sound off and on, constantly. Nothing as joyous as
    hearing a constant BZZZZ....quiet....BZZZZ....quiet.....BZZZZ.
    -Only sometimes would the seatbelt motor operate upon opening the door. Other times it wouldn't work at all. If I was lucky, It would suddenly operate as I'm sliding into the seat and whack me in the head.
    -While driving, the seatbelt motor would actuate and it would make these
    thunking noises, like its hitting against the stop. THUNK....THUNK....THUNK.

If there was one single thing I absolutely hated about this Festy, it was those damn automatic seatbelts!

Here is my somewhat lame solution...I pulled the fuse marked "seatbelt".

TA DAA! WOW...holy smokes Batman!

- No more DISCO light shows!
    - No more annoying BUZZING!
    - No more opening the door and suddenly getting hit on the head by a
    possessed seatblet buckle!
    - No more THUNK...THUNK...THUNK while driving.

I have fallen in love with my Festy again...

Yeah, its a little bit of a pain to have to manually attach both the lap belt AND the shoulder belt....BUT IT IS SO FREEKING WORTH IT!

Those of you pulling your hair out about this, try it, you may end up loving your Festy just a little bit more....

Aloha!
    Be warned....when you look into the Abyss, the Abyss also looks into you....

For those of you that is having this problem, I have a set of manual belts.
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

The automatic belts have always done everything there were intended to do for me
      The H.A.M.B.
      http://www.jalopyjournal.com

Comment

Seatbelts!

91_festy_Gl - PM sent.

red stiva - Consider yourself lucky, my brutha....cause there's a lot of us out there with the crappy ones!
        Be warned....when you look into the Abyss, the Abyss also looks into you....

Comment

Originally posted by A8770 View Post
          Yeah, its a little bit of a pain to have to manually attach both the lap belt AND the shoulder belt....BUT IT IS SO FREEKING WORTH IT!
          Or just leave the shoulder part attatched an pull it up over your head as you're getting in the car, in one smooth motion. Did that for years on my blue car after the drivers side motor died.
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I never have any problems with mine, except once in a while the passenger side would squeeze the passenger when they would first get in. But all they would have to do is open the door,let it retract and then close the door and it would work right.

Comment

mine work fine... the only thing i did was take the buzzer out its a little thing on the driver side to the left of the clutch pedal
              its awesome not having to hear that annoying noise all the time
              Last edited by phyaz91; 09-16-2010, 03:13 PM. Reason: added more
              91L 5 sp, 175k,a/c ,KYB gr2,Fms Lowering springs ,13" konig's ,09 tiburon seats, 7" Pyle in.dash,kicker ds400 all around,Kicker 400.2 powering 2 Kicker cvr 10", 30k hid's, hopeful to find a xr2 to swap b6t from....

2010 mazdaspeed3 stock... for now

Comment

Originally posted by rmp2711 View Post
                except once in a while the passenger side would squeeze the passenger when they would first get in.
                ^^^ Sounds like a scene from "Final Destination", or a B horror flick. :p
                I dont think I wanna ride in your car!
                Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

i just disconnected the door buttons = no more buzzing. best thing i ever did to my car lol. and i too have never had problems with my belts. maybe im just a lucky guy

Comment

just grab some manual belts from a similar year mazda. the hole is in the b-pillar already. the trim may have a gap, but it will be lighter and a lot less hassle every time.
                    Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                    93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                    91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                    93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                    15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                    88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

I had same problem with my 90 lx. I found a new module, it's the one under the driver seat, on epay. I think the vendor was festiva motor sport. It was like $28.00 which isn't to bad. That's the only time it messed up, and I am at 372k

Comment

Canadian Festiva's never came with automatic seat belts :p

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by phyaz91 View Post
                          mine work fine... the only thing i did was take the buzzer out its a little thing on the driver side to the left of the clutch pedal
                          its awesome not having to hear that annoying noise all the time
                          I've thought of replacing it with an old nissan or hyundai unit. The one with actual bells.

Comment

In my blue car the auto's never worked.... then after owning the car for almost a year I accidentally left the windows down in a storm, suddenly the seat belts work ha crazy!
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                            The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Working...
                            X