Replaceing pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaceing pistons

I got an 89 ford festiva L with alot of miles that started smokein. Dont know anything about engines but after a compression test of 160 160 0 170 i took the head off and found a hole in the piston that you could stick a pencil in. Now im just wondering about how much money itll cost to fix and what steps to take in replacing pistons and rings. motor is still in the car and the cylinder walls look fine.
    any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

Getting another block and swapping on the head might be easier, if your head is good. Another engine might be the easiest route.
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Another engine would be easiest and probably cheapest.. You are going to have to pull the motor any way so might is well just drop another fresh one in there...
      1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

It is possible to do pistons and rings with the engine still in the car, but I would recommend pulling it and putting it on an engine stand (much easier to work with that way). You can buy or rent both engine cranes and stands from most of the big chain parts stores. For the steps to take, just pick up a Haynes manual, assuming your planning to do the work yourself it is probably the best investment you can make in your car. Only costs $25 and it will save you more than that the first time you do a repair yourself instead of taking to the shop. It will give you pretty detailed steps on removing pistons and replacing rings, including all the torque specs and other tips. As for how much the work will cost, depends on how much you want to replace while you have the engine apart. I would probably do the water pump and timing belt while its out (much easier) along with the oil pump (the metal that was part of the piston had to go somewhere, better safe than sorry) and of course you will need at least one piston, a set of rings, and a head gasket set. Welcome to the forum! Let us know how the ring job goes
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

if you find that it is un rebuildable it'd be the perfect canidate for a swap...
          Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
          89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
          Projects in the works:
          84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Time for a B6 swap.
            91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
            14 C7 Z51

Comment

I rebuilt my engine in April. I got a complete rebuild kit from rock auto for about $330. With the help of a couple of buddies we had it done pretty quick. The thing that took the longest was waiting for the head to get done, and plus we were only able to do it on the weekends. The Haynes manual is a must, as well as take a lot of before pictures incase you forget where or how something goes back together.

'89 Ford Festiva LX :fred:
              '12 Ford Focus

Comment

Originally posted by murrillcg View Post
                I rebuilt my engine in April. I got a complete rebuild kit from rock auto for about $330. With the help of a couple of buddies we had it done pretty quick. The thing that took the longest was waiting for the head to get done, and plus we were only able to do it on the weekends. The Haynes manual is a must, as well as take a lot of before pictures incase you forget where or how something goes back together.
                Sorry but what was included in the rebuild kit?
                14 C7 Z51

Comment

Sorry but what was included in the rebuild kit?
                  not experience, and for that matter a hone, or even something to measure the bore before ordering the kit I'm guessing.

Since nobody else seemed to notice, he mentioned he had a hole in one of the pistons. Anybody care to guess what might have caused that. So what, were just going to write that off as termites? And now that he's got the thing opened up the termites are safely gone right. I'm thinking it's time for pictures of the head too, or what's left of these burned up valves, you know, because termites don't eat valves right?
                  Count me in as another vote for a B6 swap.
                  Last edited by iceracerdude; 09-16-2010, 08:22 PM.
                  97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                  CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                  Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

I think the B6 swap is a good idea too, if you can find one. Where are you located, by the way? Also, welcome!
                    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Im sure i could find it on here but what cars and years would i be looking for to find a B6. What is a ball park price for one out of a junkyard. Im located in south west florida.

Comment

By the way, are you a manual trans? You'll want the ecm (b61k if you go with a b6) along with the engine, and I believe you can pull both off for the price of that rebuild kit that was quoted, unless it's shipped from far away. If you get it from someone here who's reputable, this will be a better deal than rebuilding that 1.3 anyway, cause what all these wananbe/nevahgonnabe engine rebuilders are failing to point out to you is: I believe you might even have had a little injector failure with it.

Comment

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
                          By the way, are you a manual trans? You'll want the ecm (b61k if you go with a b6) along with the engine, and I believe you can pull both off for the price of that rebuild kit that was quoted, unless it's shipped from far away. If you get it from someone here who's reputable, this will be a better deal than rebuilding that 1.3 anyway, cause what all these wananbe/nevahgonnabe engine rebuilders are failing to point out to you is: I believe you might even have had a little injector failure with it.
                          No one here claimed to be a "wananbe/nevahgonnabe engine rebuilder". Everyone was simply just giving a suggestion.
                          14 C7 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
                            Who cares about what made the engine blow up. Its a stock B3. This gives him the chance to swap in a b6 or b8 or bp. BTW I have built engines.
                            89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                            My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Really!? Ok you're right, nobody "claimed" to be, I guess I just took exception to the fact that so many people think that someone with no experience doing it, should be told to do it, as if it were an oil change. Having actually done it, I find that kind of advice more than a little irresponsible.

Comment

Working...
                              X