Carb/choke question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb/choke question

Those of you with carbed cars, i've read that the choke is very prone to failure. Has anyone just taken all that crap off the side of the carb? Is there any possible drawback to doing so? I'm used to cold startups and having to tend to it until it warms up (my Mustang is also chokeless, but we're talking 780cfm of custom built Holley lol).

By the way, ^^^ That's 99.9% city driving :cool:

needed

A choke is needed to start a small carb, especially in cold weather.
    Don't take anything off a feedback carb unless you know what you are doing. Feedback carbs rely on the signal from the computer module to operate properly. You cannot simply turn a couple of screws to make it work. Read drdan's recent post on installing a Weber and getting rid of a pile of spaghetti.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 09-18-2010, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Well, the choke doesn't work...that was what i was getting at. Since it doesn't work, can it be gotten rid of? Or can it be fixed reasonably easy?

Comment

Mine's always worked reasonably well. Make sure the red wire coming out of it is plugged into the alternator.

Comment

I spray the linkages with carb cleaner a couple times a year. Kicking the accelerator a few times before and during operation of the staring motor helps engage the choke. Kicking the accelerator beginning about 10 seconds after start helps disengage the choke.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

You could convert it to a manual choke with a cable and some fabricated linkage. That's the way all the cars used to be for us "old timers".
            You gonna race that thing?
            http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Festy46 View Post
              You could convert it to a manual choke with a cable and some fabricated linkage. That's the way all the cars used to be for us "old timers".
              I probably will go this route. I've had a couple manual choke cars/carbs in the past so i'm pretty familiar with what needs to be rigged up with the choke cable. I might even have one laying around somewhere.

Comment

Working...
              X