Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to check for engine fault codes with a volt meter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to check for engine fault codes with a volt meter?

Is there a way to check for engine fault codes with a volt meter because I don't have a check engine light in my dash?
    :festiva: 1995 Kia Pride, 1.3 EFI, manual. :fred:

Yes on my '89 but I think you need an analogue VOM with a needle to count the swings. I don't think a digital VOM will work.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I made a diy tester. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQEb0MXLePY

Comment

or you could use:

:p

I am the original

Comment

lol. That thing is worth like 10x as much as a Festiva
          91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
          14 C7 Z51

Comment

There's no need to. All you need is an analogue volt meter.

Comment

So. I wanted to experiment with the error codes so I tried disconnected the iat sensor & there was a code 10 error which is the iat sensor. Once the error starts, you should connect the iat sensor back on and disconnect the battery and press the horn or the brake pedal to remove any ecu current, if you don't it will not reset. I tried it myself. Anyway, I tried connecting a 20k resistor instead the iat sensor and no codes at all, even with a 50k resistor in series with the 20k = 70k no error codes at all. So the iat mod works very well. Also, it increase the responsiveness of the engine, also revs smoother and even gets better mpg's.

Comment

Originally posted by lancerevo View Post
                So. I wanted to experiment with the error codes so I tried disconnected the iat sensor & there was a code 10 error which is the iat sensor. Once the error starts, you should connect the iat sensor back on and disconnect the battery and press the horn or the brake pedal to remove any ecu current, if you don't it will not reset. I tried it myself. Anyway, I tried connecting a 20k resistor instead the iat sensor and no codes at all, even with a 50k resistor in series with the 20k = 70k no error codes at all. So the iat mod works very well. Also, it increase the responsiveness of the engine, also revs smoother and even gets better mpg's.
                iat, what is that? wondering if my 88 has one, its carbed.

Comment

carb engines don't need ecu so no iat sensor.

Comment

Working...
                  X