Three different sizes in fuel lines??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three different sizes in fuel lines??

I just got back from AZ. Based upon their looking at my old fuel lines (fuel, fuel return and vapor) I bought three 25 foot rolls of the following to redo my FI '91L, AquaMutt:

3/8"

5/16"

1/4"

I just went out to mike (with a crescent wrench since I couldn't find my calipers) the old lines to compare. The smaller one was indeed a match for 1/4". The two large ones, however, were both 5/16". (I don't think the AZ guys were intentionally misleading. I think the "fluffiness" of the old corroded section they looked at misled them.)

I believe I have the right sizes at 1/4" and 5/16". I'll keep the 3/8" roll if doing so for a long time won't allow it to rust or anything (kept dry in my garage). Anyone know if new brake line will go "bad" from humidity alone over the years? I may need that size for the odd project or vac line fabbing (which I've done on my engine swap before).

Comments?

Thanks,

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 09-19-2010, 01:44 PM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Aviation-grade MIL-spec "soft" lines are supposed to be replaced (as a precaution) every seven years, so I wouldn't plan on using automtive stuff after it's been been on the shelf more than about a couple of years. It tends to get quite brittle over time.

My F250 burned to the ground some years back due to a cracked soft fuel line.
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 09-19-2010, 02:42 PM.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

AKGuy, are you talking about the rubber hoses or the steel lines?

Karl

Comment

stainless

Stainless fuel and brake lines are the only way to go.

Comment

Maybe the next time, when I do my better, less rusted cars, I'll go stainless. Aqua has lots of rust ahead of the rear wheels and may not have more than three or four years left. So regular steel lines will be "good enough." Also, it's my first time doing a whole system, so if I really mess up, the materials costs will be minimal.

Karl

Comment

Working...
          X