Thumping sound when driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thumping sound when driving

Just want another opinion before I rip my Festiva apart....

I have a clunking that appears to be coming from the front drivers side when I'm driving down the road. I had hoped it was just the tire, but it's getting worse. It increases with speed.

Last week, I jacked up the front end of the car with both front tires off the ground and removed the tires. Still the thumping the transmission in gear....out of gear, no thumping.

With the steering wheel straight, I can hear (and feel) the thumping, but when I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or right, the thumping disappears.

I'm assuming that it's a bad outer CV joint. When I bought the car (less than a year ago) the guy that sold it to me said that he had just replaced the CV joints....but it doesn't mean that he knew what he was doing...

Anyone have any other diagnosis?
    Thanks
    Bruce

More info please!

You were running the gear when jacked up, right?

Manual or auto?

Describe the "thumping." We understand it is geared towards engine speed, right? Constant or intermittant? Does it get louder, too? Anything else would be appreciated.

My understanding is that CVs usually click most when turning under load, not when they are pointed straight ahead. I could be wrong.

(On my '93GL, I thought my CVs could be causing some clicking and clacking on turns, but it was caused by my bad strut bearings instead. This is probably NOT your problem, though.)

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Sounds idential to my festy when the outter cv joint was bad.

Comment

scrap the dead body off the axle! :shock:
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Thumping only happens when the transmission is in gear and the wheels are turning. It is a 5-spd manual.

It is constant. It is getting louder every day, but it's hard to tell if it's actually louder as the speed increases.

Everything that I have read about CV joints is completely opposite what I'm experiencing (straight vs turned, clicking vs thumping)....but it's the only solution that seems to make sense.

The wheel bearings seem ok, there's not a lot of play in the wheel.

Comment

Does it ever change when you brake , I had a set of rotors that had actually like had the metal ball up on the brake surface and it created a high spot and each day it got louder and it thumped ,it was like the rotor was liquefying, they were real cheap rotors . No longer on the car
            ------------------------------------------------
            The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
            Smart Passion white with H-D interior
            HD2500 Duramax Chevy
            Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
            Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
            Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
            Z28 LS1 power 500 +
            90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
            It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

I'll check to see if the brakes make any difference, but it seems to continue until I come to a complete stop. Then starts again as soon as the wheels start turning...

FB71...if only it was that easy...

Comment

Just to add some closure to this...

Sound ended up being the bearings loose on the spindle. The bearings had locked up and were spinning around the spindle, long enough to wear a groove into it.

Got a new (used) spindle and new bearings and it's as good as new (used).

Comment

Last week in the high way i ear a sound similar and when i send my unit to the repair y have to change all the rear brakes and all the fluid

Comment

Working...
                  X