New Festiva Owner Failed Smog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Festiva Owner Failed Smog

Hi, I just bought a 93 Festiva that looks and runs great. I've driven her about a hundred miles (she gets thirty eight miles to a gallon) and so far I feel confident I made a good buy at seven hundred bucks. But she failed smog. Failed pretty badly as a matter of fact. It seems I'm deemed a Gross Polluter. The Smog Man said I probably needed a new Catylitic Converter. Any thoughts from the forum?
    Thank you all,
    Big Don

Welcome to the site! Check this thread out:

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

whats your location?

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
      1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

It might be helpful to post this in the repair forum. But depending on what you failed for a new converter might be needed.
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

Can you post the results?

The link in the above post was for a car which was over the nitrogen limit. The culprit is almost always a dirty EGR valve although that was not mentioned in the thread. It's simple to remove and clean. When I got a warning on my carb'd '89 I cleaned the EGR valve and it came right back down.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

easy fix!

Had the same problem with my festy, I failed smog here in California, the Cat converter will be a real fix for that, when you change your Cat, be sure also to replace your oxygen sensor, and run a bottle of "guaranteed to pass" solution that you pour on a tank full of gas, by the time your gas tank is empty your fuel system are clean, I was also labelled as a Gross polluter, but after replacing the cat, oxy sensors, ad a bottle of guaranteed to pass, My NO levels were zero. passed smog with flying colours.

Comment

Just an FYI, the FI Festiva's DO NOT have an EGR valve. Most likely its either the cat or timing issues.
              Brian
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
              :fish:

Comment

Working...
              X