Lean or bad gas maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lean or bad gas maybe?

Got everything back together, but I'm having some issues. It starts fine minus some lifter tick which will be fixed shortly. I have a rebuilt head on which was shaved .010". I'm wondering if maybe the gas is too old or valve timing is off because of the shave.(I know it retards valve timing when you deck a head)

It bogs a bit before revving up when you blip the throttle and though the coolant temp is good, the exhaust seems to be way too hot. You can't touch the rad support bracket after you've run it for a while. I don't remember if this is normal or not. It's been a while since I've had a running Festiva. Also going WOT in gear feels like it's starving.

What helps everything(HELPS not FIXES) is to retard ignition timing almost all the way. Idle is smoother, pep is back a little, but it's still not right. Does the octane rating go down as gas gets older?

Suggestions?
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Yes octane rating drops as gas ages.
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Yeah, I googled after I posted. I know. Shame on me. :grin:
      I'll try some starting fluid diagnostics then.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Hmm. Retarding ignition 100% makes it drivable. Completely drivable. Like your mother wouldn't know the difference. BUT it's still not quite there yet. Mid and upper revs are still lacking. I guess I'll fill it from 1/2 to full with premium and run that out then see what I need to do.

It was a blast to drive it again, even not at 100% Festiva goodness.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Sounds like it could be running lean. I would double check for vacuum leaks and set the timing per spec with a timing light, then see where you're at. Also (sounds crazy) but double check connections for air leaks from air filter box to throttle body. I have wasted hours before, only to find I forgot to tighten a simple hose clamp on the air inlet tube. Old gas will have an effect, but if you top off the tank with Premium or add a can of fuel suppliment it should take care of the issue. Planing the head will retard cam timing and raise compression, but not enough to have a major effect. If you are off a tooth on the timing belt it can create drivability problems as well. Just a few ideas, because it's usually something simple that you take for granted. Good luck!
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
          X