Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPM varies when engine is hot?

Hey there,

I had this problem for about 6 months now. It all started when I had a coolant circuit problems. To make it short, the engine got too hot a few times.

When the motor gets hot and I stop at a light or in traffic, the rpm get up every 3 seconds or so.

I know for sure the engine is consuming a little coolant. It's probably related to a gasket issuem but where to look?

Thanks,
    J-S
    J-S

'93L "Pepestiva" - 160 miles old Road Slave

What Year is your Festiva? Carbed or F/I.? Automatic or Manual?
    I would pull the #1 spark plug and see if it is running rich or lean. If the plug end is black
    all over, your are running rich. Light brown is normal, and new-like is lean.

Plug looks normal, then you probably have a vacuum leak. My '90 Festiva acted like that
    even when cold. it was the hose on the Brake Booster wasn't clamped on the F.I Pentium
    connection.

-Kirk

Comment

have your coolant checked for exhaust gasses and take a sniff of your exhaust when it's acting up. if it smells slightly sweet, it's a head gasket. you can also have your oil tested for traces of coolant as well to determine where you leak is or isn't.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
      X