loose door lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loose door lock

Looking for suggestions on tightening a loose door lock on an '89. It's not held on by a nut which could be tightened, but by a clip which comes loose again the first time the key is turned in the lock. Thanks.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

If the gasket is missing or brittle, replace it.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

c clip

There is a large C clip which holds the lock in place. If it came loose, you would have to remove the map pocket screw, inner door handle, window crank clip and then carefully remove the inner door panel. Be careful not to bend the rod for the door latch. Then you would have to peel back the vapour barrier where the lock mechanism is. Then push the C-clip back on properly. Then put everything back again.

Comment

Yes, I did all that but after pushing the clip on tight is just comes loose again. I'll look at the rubber gasket.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

If anybody finds a source for those gaskets in good (non-brittle) condition, I'd like to buy a lifetime supply (a few dozen) to keep sealed up in an airtight container to preserve them for future need. I don't think an O-ring will do the job; it has to be flat with just the proper size hole, else it will squeeze out when the clip is installed -- or later.

It's a royal pain to have to open door panels to get at lock clips! I've done 4 of them recently to get key codes to get new keys made after some bozo broke into my house and stole all my keys.
          88L black, dailydriver
          88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
          4 88/89 disassembled
          91L green
          91GL aqua pwrsteer
          92GL red a/c reardmg
          3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
          1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Make one  xacto knife and a cereal box
            (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

I've recently had a similar problem. My "fix" was to just glue the damn thing down. I removed the "C-clip" so you can pull the lock assembly out from the door about 1/2 inch.(while still connected to the rod) Scoured the area with sandpaper, where the lock assembly "sits" on the door panel. Used a small amount of JB Quick epoxy on the area. Pushed lock assembly back in and re-installed C-clip. Wiped off any excess JB epoxy that has seeped out. Now the lock assembly is TIGHT and I have absolutely NO PROBLEMS with it moving. Hope that helps!
              Be warned....when you look into the Abyss, the Abyss also looks into you....

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                Yes, I did all that but after pushing the clip on tight is just comes loose again. I'll look at the rubber gasket.
                make the bow in the clip a little bigger , putting more pressure on the lock, helping to keep it tight.
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Brought back this old thread to describe the fix.

Finally got around to fixing the loose lock by bending the clip which holds it on. Other ideas were to replace the rubber washer with an O-ring from my plumbing parts box, or to run a bead of silcone around the hole in the door to build it up a bit. The O-ring was too thick and I could not get the spring back on. Did not try the silicone as bending the clip worked.

In an earlier post in this thread the clip was called a C-clip. To see what it looks like it's the same type that holds the rubber brake hose to the strut in the wheel well. It's difficult to get at and installed at the factory from the top. To get it off I unfastned the steel rod and pushed up with a screwdriver. When reinstalling I pushed it on from the bottom instead of from the top. I greased it before putting it back on.

After I remove the inner door panel I have in the past torn the plastic dust and vapour sheet trying to pull it off (repaired with duct tape) so now I use a utility knife to cut the rubber sealant which holds the sheet on. The rubber sealent reseals when the plastic sheets it pressed back onto the door later.

Comment

Working...
                  X