Starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting problem

I have been having an intermittant starting problem for the past couple of years now and cant figure it out. When I go to start my car sometimes it just clicks, sounding like a starter solenoid going bad. I replaced the starter and was ok for prob about a week and did it again. I replaced both battery cables with nice new 4 guage cables. Didnt help. Took the battery in had it tested. Battery fine. Replaced starter a couple more times different brand. Still does it. I figured maybe most Mcparts houses buy from the same maker, so i ordered a starter from Ford. Still does it. I bought a new battery just for s&g's still does it. The only thing I havent replaced is the ignition switch because my thinking is if it clicks its getting power to the starter. The car will start every time so far but it is a little embarrasing to have to hit it 10 or so times before starting. It doesnt do it every time just about half of the times. Also sometimes I only have to turn it twice or three times. I thought I was the only one with this issue but talking to Dustin Hayek at our meet a couple of weeks ago found that his car does it as well. Any help would be much appreciated.
    1990 Festiva L
    Bp swap, stock tranny

[

I had a 07 Geo that did the same thing. Didn't do it all the time. Mostly did it in the hot weather after I'd driven thirty or forty miles. Changed the battery, the starter, no luck, still did it. But not all that often. I used to push start it until I found if I clicked it a few times it would always start. Bright! Anyway, I stopped worrying about it and lived with it like you do a spouse who snores until the poor Geo lost her clutch. Now she's parked on the street and I'm not sure what to do. Luckily I've got this Festiva to run around it. She's a hell of a lot more fun to drive. And so far, she's not clicking...

Comment

Correction: a 97 Geo. Sorry. I gotta start editing these posts.

Comment

Possibly a short in the wiring from the ign. switch to the starter?
        The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
        89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Try adding a Relay before the starter solenoid. Use a common Driving Light Relay.
          Plug starter wire to postive on the relay coil.
          Run a ground wire to the other Coil.
          Run a wire from the battery (with a Fuse) to one of the contacts.
          Run a wire from the Starter solenoid to the other contact.

The Driving Relay has about 30Amp contacts which will deliver better power to the starter solenoid, and takes the strain off the ignition switch.

-Kirk

Comment

Thanks. I will try it and let you know.
            1990 Festiva L
            Bp swap, stock tranny

[

Comment

Working...
            X