how do you adjust your tps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you adjust your tps?

hello all! so i searched but cant find anything but how do you adjust your tps? i gather you need a multimeter and some patience but does anyone know exactly how to do this?

also how to adjust your maf box? how do you know if your maf box isnt adjusted right?

thanks

did i ask a dumb question? should i know how to do this or knwo where to find how to do this?

sorry if i did haha.

Comment

What makes you think you need to adjust anything?

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

on my b3 and bp 3 wire TPS this is what i did (i dont know if it works for 4 wire ones...)

start the motor

loosen the 2 bolts

turn the tps till you notice the idle cahnge

turn it back SLOWLY till the idle goes back to normal

tighten the bolts

done....

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
        1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

i adjusted it a while back to slow down the idle and it worked... but now i fixed the actual idle problem and now my car does funny stuff at low throttle when i take off the gas

i know 4 sure its not fixed ha.

Comment

try and remove the little round thing thats on the TB next to the throttle cable... mine was giving me problems and after removing it the car drove MUCH better you just have to be smooth with your throttle...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
            1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Really not a lot of "adjustment" associated with the TPS on a B3.
              All you need a multi-meter and pop the little black cover off the side of the TPS so you can get at the terminals.

The TPS has 3 wires, each attached to a long, thin metal blade. The bottom wire is ground (-), the middle wire is signal (+) and the top wire is reference (REF). The operation of the TPS is basically just a double contact switch and there is no variable voltage that is sent over the signal wire. The middle blade (signal) rides in a plastic cam groove that's attached to the throttle shaft. At idle, the middle signal blade (+) contacts the bottom ground blade (-). You should have continuity between these two blades at idle. Once the throttle shaft is slightly opened (so that the throttle stop is off the dashpot a few thousandths of an inch) the middle signal blade is raised off the ground blade and the connection is broke (continuity is lost). As the throttle shaft is rotated through it's movement, the middle signal blade is gradually pushed closer toward the top reference blade and farther away from the bottom ground blade. There should be NO continuity between ANY of the blades through this movement. Just before WOT (say at about 7/8 of WOT) the middle signal blade contacts the top reference blade and you should have continuity between them. Since the top reference blade has 5 volts to it at all times when the key is on, you should have 5 volts on the signal wire at WOT.
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

All of that info ^ is correct, but here are your throttle plate gap measurements
                With a 0.5mm gap you want to see continuity, but by 0.7 it should go away.
                I'll usually find a small piece of wire that's 0.5mm, place it under the throttle plate, then gently rotate the tps back and forth to see when the continuity comes and goes. Lock er down.
                97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

thanks a bunch guys!!!!!!!!! im gunna try this out, awesome info doing this tomo.

Comment

Working...
                  X