Wiring issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring issue

I've been searching for the last couple of hours for the answer to this problem with now avail.

I bought my car in July (90LX 264xxx) the fuel pump/sending unit and tank were no good... I've replaced each of those... I plugged in the fuel pump and turned on the key... nothing.... used the self test connector and the fuel pump kicked on.... I assumed the relay was bad, got a relay from Fresh (which I did use) come to find out the wire from the fuel pump terminal on the relay to the ECU was bad... none of the other wires just the one... according to the diagram in the haynes manual that same wire also goes to the altenator in the charging circuit.... I get power there but not @ the relay.... so I decided to (with guidance from my life long friend who is also a by day mechanic, I usually do all my own work) install a toggle switch to the self test connector (I had no other ideas) using the non current side of the self test connector for the load connector the fusebox connector left of the wiper fuse for the power and I ran a wire behind the left speaker ran it across that bar that holds up the dash and then down the underside of the carpet..... and connected it at the rear left bolt of the drivers seat. from the toggle switch to the fuse box there is a 30amp inline fuse connector... I've changed the wiring to account for error about 3 times and still nothing....

Any suggestions as to how to get this car done before this weekend would be greatly appreciated....
    Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
    89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
    Projects in the works:
    84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Did you push the reset button for the fuel pump? It is near the left rear upper strut mount.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

the inertia switch... yes I did check that but it wasn't popped out....
      Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
      Projects in the works:
      84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Have yet to fix the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated
        Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
        Projects in the works:

Comment

Have you checked for power to the relay?

This may sound stupid but try a light smack or 2 on top of the VAF, when mine was dying I had to do this to get it going until I found a replacement. There is a switch of sorts in the VAF that can shut down the fuel pump.
          Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
          1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

yeah I've checked the power. best I can figure the wire is shorted from the altenator to the relay (see the Haynes manual page 12-22.... the black/red wire is the one I'm having issue with atm....
            Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
            Projects in the works:

Comment

same issue

i actually have the same problem as we speak, i am in the process of taking the dash apart to follow and trace the wire. i have changed my fuel pump and to no avail no power to the pump and relay but both working. if you have any progress please let me know

Comment

The schematics (mitchell) I have show a blk/red from the alt going to the inst cluster.

The blk/red to the fuel pump relay comes from the starter, splits off to the clutch interlock switch as well, from the interlock it leads to the ignition switch. After going to the relay it continues on to the ecu.
                Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Working...
                X